Cactus ID and care

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
comp

Cactus ID and care

Post by comp »

I took over this cactus from my grandmother about 20 years ago. The cactus didn't receive much attention and before these 20 years it stood in a not so bright spot. In 2018 I want to make some progress and give the cactus the care it needs. For the first time it receivessome rest now i n the winter.

What is the name of this cactus?

teo

Re: Cactus ID and care

Post by teo »

A monstrose Cereus, probably C. peruvianus monstrose
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Cereus (not recognized peruvianus species) monstrose. Put in very bright shade in summer(full sun causes sunburn), tolerates sun in spring and fall, clean bugs with toothpick in hard to access areas of the plant.
Soil and water requirements are normal, growth speed is slow. It will not flower its a dwarf cultivar.
teo

Post by teo »

I have a similar one (I called it C. jamacaru monstrose) - it has somewhat more reddish spines. It grows very slow but otherwise no problems.
DSC_2813.JPG
DSC_2813.JPG (120.21 KiB) Viewed 460 times
comp

Post by comp »

stefan m. wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:36 am Cereus (not recognized peruvianus species) monstrose. Put in very bright shade in summer(full sun causes sunburn), tolerates sun in spring and fall, clean bugs with toothpick in hard to access areas of the plant.
Soil and water requirements are normal, growth speed is slow. It will not flower its a dwarf cultivar.
It's indeed not going to flower. Tried to give the cactus a nice winter period to get it to flower but nothing happening yet so far. Only change compared to giving it a dormant period is increased growing speed. Although still very very slow.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

It is often hard to identify cristate and monstrose cacti for certain unless they put out a reversion (a normal growth). However if it's the monstrose that you are interested in the normal growth should usually be removed after a while or it will grow at the expense of the monstrose.

Being a Cerei you would not expect it to flower before about 3ft-4ft high and monstrose plants can be even more reluctant to flower.

See these links for flowers, scroll down for pictures:-

https://worldofsucculents.com/cereus-re ... le-cactus/

https://cactiguide.com/cactus/?genus=Ce ... peruvianus