Has anyone actually seen one this blue outside a picture:

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Has anyone actually seen one this blue outside a picture:

Post by WayneByerly »

Has anyone EVER seen a Pilosocereus that was THIS blue outside of a picture? And if so, where do i get one?
cactus-seeds-100-pcs-purple-blue-rare-cactus-succulent-plants-for-home-garden-decoration-purify-the.jpg
cactus-seeds-100-pcs-purple-blue-rare-cactus-succulent-plants-for-home-garden-decoration-purify-the.jpg (145.49 KiB) Viewed 982 times
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
ElieEstephane

Re: Has anyone actually seen one this blue outside a picture:

Post by ElieEstephane »

These are the ones i have. They are bluer than the picture but not as blue as your picture. I've seen specimen as blue as this but they are not pachycladus. I'm looking for them now.
Attachments
20171117_130325-1200x1600.jpg
20171117_130325-1200x1600.jpg (127.57 KiB) Viewed 977 times
20171117_130833-1200x1600.jpg
20171117_130833-1200x1600.jpg (100.18 KiB) Viewed 976 times
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Here they are.
Research a little more on what's the bluest pilosocereus and buy from a trusted source.
Attachments
1514625622029-1024x1250.jpg
1514625622029-1024x1250.jpg (157.57 KiB) Viewed 973 times
1514625628329-1024x1004.jpg
1514625628329-1024x1004.jpg (149.93 KiB) Viewed 973 times
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

In that first picture, all of the colors are over-saturated - it wouldn't look that blue to the naked eye.
Spence :mrgreen:
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

greenknight wrote:In that first picture, all of the colors are over-saturated - it wouldn't look that blue to the naked eye.
One of the most deceiving things for beginners. You should see the rainbow colors they put on fake sites or some users on ebay. I've even seen someone selling maple seeds wirh blue leaves ](*,)
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

As Spence says the colours are out in your picture Wayne, with excess blue in it. If you look at the white petals on the flower they have a blue tinge to them that should not be there. In fact the whole background looks like it is done in poster colours.

The deposition of wax on the body of cacti is a protection against the sun and UV radiation. How blue the plant will go in your conditions depends how much sun and UV light it gets. Unless you live in a climate similar to it's habitat you never normally get stems that blue, certainly not in less sunny old UK.

I have found what seems to be the original picture, which has in fact been reversed in that other stem is on the left of the main stem in your picture but on the right in the original (which enlarges if you click on it). Note the colours in this version are more correct in that there is no blue cast in the petals.

http://seedscactus.com/en/pilosocereus/ ... ureus.html

I am afraid some photographers have no concept of natural colours, with many natural history pictures being over saturated. Nowadays thank goodness most TV's come factory set for colour, or have a default setting if you mess them up. But in the early days when people used to twiddle with the colour settings many had no concept of correct flesh tones and you got people with red faces looking as though they had just run a marathon, or come out of a Turkish bath. I am afraid the TV repair men in those days were one of the worst culprits, you always had to put the set back to natural flesh colours by holding your hand against the screen for comparison to set them when he had gone.

The ladies are often better at judging natural colours than we men are. Some professionals used to include a grey card at the bottom of the scene, or in a previous frame, then adjust the image to match that card whilst holding it against it. Get that card matching and all the other colours fall naturally into line.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

So the consensus seems to be that the colors have simply been fooled with to attract the unwary. And I've been looking for one that looks like this for years. What a fool I am. Thanks for your time guys. Sorry I bothered you with this one.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

ElieEstephane wrote:Research a little more on what's the bluest pilosocereus.
Picture #1
--man, oh man, oh man!!! I wish my backyard looked like this

Picture #2
A --VERY-- attractive arrangement. Someone has a very good eye for design. I have found some difficulty in combining species that ALL have the same watering requirements. Some are just different that i killed one with too much water or killed another by not giving them enough
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

They are blue stemmed, but as said the depth of the colour depends on your climate and how intense the light is. This is probably a more typical picture.

http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACT ... achycladus

I remember when Parodia (Notocactus) magnifica was first found pictures of blue plants, but most of them lost the blue colour in the less sunny parts of Europe, only sunnier places with more UV light retaining it. Also some clones are obviously bluer than others.

http://www.cactusinhabitat.org/index.ph ... d=150&l=es
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

You could also look into pilosocereus palmeri seeds.
However, pilosocereus pachycladus should be very common so you'd have at a 3 year headstart on seeds.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

And color absolutely depends on sun exposure. Look at the "v" shape where growth started this year. Notice the green skin in old growth in the shaded nursery vs the blue color our full sun. One could argue that there would have been too young for full sun at that size but i have bigger specimen doing the same. However, i don't currently have photos.
Attachments
20171230_230947.jpg
20171230_230947.jpg (126.42 KiB) Viewed 940 times
Stetsonia coryne
Stetsonia coryne
20171230_231023.jpg (64.52 KiB) Viewed 940 times
7george

Post by 7george »

The first photo is definitely over-saturated at post processing. The real plants are rather bluish, some young shots can be bright blue as well.

This one was at full sun and colors are real here.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

ElieEstephane wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:03 pmYou could also look into pilosocereus palmeri seeds.
I actually think the flowers of the Pilosocereus palmeri are more attractive. And while i was looking ar pictures of P. palmeri, I ran across some pix of P. magnificus too. Another VERY attractive cacftus that I never knew existed. Thanx a LOT for the tip... Bolshoi spaseba... domo ariegato... Shukran... Vielen Dank

But maybe not seeds... I need a 3-5 year head start: so that I'll have a little time to enjoy them before I kick off. :D
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

WayneByerly wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:01 am
ElieEstephane wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:03 pmYou could also look into pilosocereus palmeri seeds.
I actually think the flowers of the Pilosocereus palmeri are more attractive. And while i was looking ar pictures of P. palmeri, I ran across some pix of P. magnificus too. Another VERY attractive cacftus that I never knew existed. Thanx a LOT for the tip... Bolshoi spaseba... domo ariegato... Shukran... Vielen Dank

But maybe not seeds... I need a 3-5 year head start: so that I'll have a little time to enjoy them before I kick off. :D
You can also look into micranthocereus, browningia/azurocereus and cipocereus. Some of these should be available in nurseries
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

There were a lot of the more exotic often blue stemmed tropical Pilosocereus discovered in the 1970's and many were sent back as top cuts to Europe before CITES. They however like more warmth than most cacti and so not that many survived. Strange to say you still get a lot sold as small seedlings in supermarkets and garden centres to the general public which survive I suppose because they are kept in central heated houses rather than our colder greenhouses over winter.

As George says many pictures of them on the Web are oversaturated colours so far bluer than they actually are.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Pilos ... 80&bih=717

Pilocereus palmeri is one that does stand our more usual greenhouse winter temperatures.