Are BOTH (or either) of these Ferocactus emoryii?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Are BOTH (or either) of these Ferocactus emoryii?

Post by WayneByerly »

I'm putting new labels on cacti, for a new watering scheme. And I discovered that I have yet one more cactus that does not have a positive Id. I have a tentative Identification for one that looks exactly like it to me, as Ferocactus emoryii and think that perhaps the second one (the one I don't have an ID for) is the same genus/species, but I would like to be sure, and if it is not, get a positive id for the second. That is, if anyone will take the time to look them over and let me know (I am positive that several people will as my experience here has shown).

Here is the first ... Ferocactus emoryii as I believe? Or something else?
Ferocactus emoryii (tentative) DSCF3219.JPG
Ferocactus emoryii (tentative) DSCF3219.JPG (187.82 KiB) Viewed 790 times

And is this also Ferocactus emoryii, or something else. Actually, I have a second question about this one. You will notice some black "mold" looking stuff around a couple of the areoles on the top. Is this mold? And regardless of what it is, what would be the best way of "curing" this problem? Would a dilute solution of bleach and water work OK?
Is this also Ferocactus emoryii DSCF3272.JPG
Is this also Ferocactus emoryii DSCF3272.JPG (173.61 KiB) Viewed 790 times
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
ElieEstephane

Re: Are BOTH (or either) of these Ferocactus emoryii?

Post by ElieEstephane »

At this point wayne, it could be anything. It's way too early to tell
Unless you grew them from labelled seeds, there are at least 5 possible choices other than emoryii
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

ElieEstephane wrote:Unless you grew them from labelled seeds...
No, not from labeled seeds, but as a labeled plant from a cactus selling business ... one of the large ones if memory serves.

but what about the black stuff? mold? and what to do about it?
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Looks like a fungus infection. Can you upload a closer photo?
By the way, i'd be more than happy to double check your ID list.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Second should look along the lines of http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACT ... lavovirens
http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACT ... lifornicus for the first.
Either way, theres only a select few candiates for these species. As for the infection, i agree it needs a closup.
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

ElieEstephane wrote:Looks like a fungus infection. Can you upload a closer photo?
Stefan m. wrote:As for the infection, i agree it needs a closup.
You asked for it, you got it...

The first three pictures were taken by a FujiFilm S4500 14MP digital in its 3 stages of Super Macro mode. Not an expensive or intricate camera by any stretch of the imagination, but the optics are really quite good for a camera in this price range (cheap at approx 140 USD) and the focus can be just phenomenal. I normally take pictures at the largest size possible whose resolution is 4288x3216, but this forum will not allow pictures that big so I've reduced them to 800x600. Sorry I can't give you any better resolution.

The 4th & 5th pictures were taken by my tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab A) with one of those clip-on-lenses that you can buy for phones ... a 15x macro. You can see that the resolution (2592x1944) is not nearly so good, and these photos have also been reduced to 800x600 to fit this systems requirements.

if either of you know how I can upload a picture with a higher resolution (to show better detail) please let me know how.

I hope these pictures depict what you need to see in order to Identify the problem and suggest a solution.

I thank you, yet once again, for the generous contribution of YOUR time in assisting me with MY problems. I have said this before, but it bears repeating, but your willingness to share YOUR time and YOUR knowledge with others is a profound indicator of your individual characters and speaks highly of you. Your parents have a great and powerful right to be very proud of you. And I thank you again.

1.JPG
1.JPG (170.24 KiB) Viewed 748 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (157.39 KiB) Viewed 748 times
3.JPG
3.JPG (167.87 KiB) Viewed 748 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (69.45 KiB) Viewed 748 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (57.87 KiB) Viewed 748 times
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

first time im seeing this. Try cleaning it with alcohol.
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

stefan m. wrote:Second looks (like Ferocactus flavovirens) along the lines of http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACT ... lavovirens

And the first looks (like Ferocactus californicus) along the lines of
http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACT ... lifornicus...
OK... I still have some question regarding the correct identification of these two cactus (as i bought them already ID'd from a licensed cacti grower) but for the interim I will go with your ID as F. flavovirens and F. californicus

I know that this may very well not have been the best thing to do from a cosmetic standpoint, but I cut away a number of the spines in the black areas and used a 50% solution of bleach and water on half of the spines and alcohol on the other half of the spines. I seem to have gotten mixed results using both liquids. It worked to some extent but not entirely.

These two cacti have come inside for the winter where i may keep a closer eye on them. I have watered/fertilized them and i have them sitting in as bright an area as i can manage. They will just have to get their winter some other year. Or maybe i can let them dry out again, before putting them back outside. We'll see.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

My suggestion is to just keep them as dry as possible -fungus needs humidity to thrive.
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

Which is why I brought them inside out of the greenhouse. The humidity in the greenhouse is too high for my taste, because I cannot open the door because of the freezing temperatures. I'm inclined to think that the black stuff on the areoles was mold like you would get in the corners of of your shower where the humidity stays too high.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Mold or mildew - it doesn't seem to be attacking any live tissue, probably won't hurt the plant. Just unsightly.
Spence :mrgreen:
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

greenknight wrote:..probably won't hurt the plant...
Glad to hear that... but i DID want to check in with the members of this forum that i have found to be SO kind and SO predictably reliable in the past, before I either ignored it, or did something inappropriate. Thanks for your input.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

So, ive got two similar, yet diffrent ferocacti,of which i beleive is an emoryii, and the other hystrix.
Attachments
Plant A
Plant A
DSC_0114.JPG (118.05 KiB) Viewed 649 times
PLant B
PLant B
DSC_0116.JPG (110.46 KiB) Viewed 649 times
plant B
plant B
DSC_0117.JPG (122.97 KiB) Viewed 649 times
PLant A
PLant A
DSC_0108.JPG (122.34 KiB) Viewed 649 times
mdpillet

Post by mdpillet »

The black stuff is due to infection of the extrafloral nectaries with fungi or bacteria. This may have happened with or without a vector (ants). It's nothing to worry about. A little bit of soapy water should clean it right off. I agree it's a bit too early to tell the name.
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

mdpillet wrote: it's a bit too early to tell the name.
Then i should wait for what, for them to flower? They were on the order of something like 2 years old when i got them 4 years ago.