Are BOTH (or either) of these Ferocactus emoryii?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
mdpillet

Re: Are BOTH (or either) of these Ferocactus emoryii?

Post by mdpillet »

WayneByerly wrote:
mdpillet wrote: it's a bit too early to tell the name.
Then i should wait for what, for them to flower? They were on the order of something like 2 years old when i got them 4 years ago.
Yes, waiting for flowering size is a good idea. There's a few dedicated Ferocactus Facebook groups that could probably get you some educated guesses before.
7george

Post by 7george »

Then i should wait for what, for them to flower? They were on the order of something like 2 years old when i got them 4 years ago.
Because ID keys are made for mature plants with flowers and corresponding size and other features.
The first one looks like F. emoryi rectispinus, but the 2nd reminds me also F. histrix. In order to be sure about this we have to perform DNA analysis of some kind... 8)
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

7george wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:25 am ... In order to be sure about this we have to perform DNA analysis of some kind...
thanks, but that's just a little too far into the "scientific" realms of collecting rather than collecting for their beauty (while still wanting correct ID's) as a casual collector like myself does.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a