What is this?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Brontosaurus

What is this?

Post by Brontosaurus »

I saw this in one of those bowls of various cacti that the sell in grocery stores or whatever. The two tall skinny ones I'm not sure about. What do you think?
Attachments
20171214_162127.jpg
20171214_162127.jpg (98.9 KiB) Viewed 724 times
stefan m.

Re: What is this?

Post by stefan m. »

Im gonna say its either some kind of cleistocactus or harrisia(or bergerocactus). But the photo ..... makes it hard to ID accurately.
7george

Post by 7george »

Cleistocactus baumannii, most likely.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Im gonna throw nyctocereus serpentinus out there. They are common in cactus arrangement.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Id like to think that, but nearly all nyctocereus/peniocereus seeds are super expensive and rare.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

stefan m. wrote:Id like to think that, but nearly all nyctocereus/peniocereus seeds are super expensive and rare.
Hmmm that's weird. Nyctocereus plants are very common here from dutch nurseries and they don't take long to flower and produce seeds. I guess plants should be very common in Europe too.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Gerd Hayenga

Post by Gerd Hayenga »

I would also put in in the Cleistocactus range, maybe of the "Bolivicereus"-type. It's difficult to identify exactly from the picture and without flowers.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

You sure thats nyctocereus? Has your one (or at least somebody you know) flowered? Cause deep down i really wanna believe it, but http://www.koehres-kaktus.de/shop/Cactu ... 1_415.html
and http://cactus-aventures.com/KaktitosSho ... sShop.html seem to disagree.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

stefan m. wrote:You sure thats nyctocereus? Has your one (or at least somebody you know) flowered? Cause deep down i really wanna believe it, but http://www.koehres-kaktus.de/shop/Cactu ... 1_415.html
and http://cactus-aventures.com/KaktitosSho ... sShop.html seem to disagree.
Yes im sure. I got mine from a cutting from a friend. I have seen it flower large white flowers but never set fruit.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

But that means you didnt get it wholesale..... Unless your friend got it wholesale..... When it might have been more abundant...like the cehpalocereus.......
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

stefan m. wrote:But that means you didnt get it wholesale..... Unless your friend got it wholesale..... When it might have been more abundant...like the cehpalocereus.......
He got it a couple of years back in a cactus arrangement and put it on the ground immediately. I actually still have a photo of the flower somewhere.

EDIT: What we get here in Lebanon is definitely different from what the get in the USA so i could be wrong.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

2 years old and flowering? how big was it when he bought it anyway?
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

stefan m. wrote:2 years old and flowering? how big was it when he bought it anyway?
It was about 30cm and puts out almost half a meter (and more) of growth per year. Cuttings flower much faster than seed grown plants.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Yeah i know that but...... wow, its like in its ideal habitat or something. Perhaps all nursery plants are clones then.