Eriosyce & Copiapoa ID

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
toson

Eriosyce & Copiapoa ID

Post by toson »

there're all in 4 inch spots.

1. the seller told me it's eriosyce senilis coimasensis, i do have another coimasensis with yellow spine, if this one is coimasensis or not?
IMG_8200.JPG
IMG_8200.JPG (84.57 KiB) Viewed 818 times
IMG_8197.JPG
IMG_8197.JPG (100.36 KiB) Viewed 818 times
IMG_8198.JPG
IMG_8198.JPG (110.77 KiB) Viewed 818 times
2. Maybe eriosyce vexata or sth. else looks over-nutrition.Huge body with short roots and weak sticks.
IMG_8199.JPG
IMG_8199.JPG (85.91 KiB) Viewed 818 times
IMG_8144.JPG
IMG_8144.JPG (107.11 KiB) Viewed 818 times
3. the seller told me it's copiapoa cinerea? looks far from locality
IMG_7956.JPG
IMG_7956.JPG (120.4 KiB) Viewed 818 times
IMG_7915.JPG
IMG_7915.JPG (143.12 KiB) Viewed 818 times
IMG_7955.JPG
IMG_7955.JPG (149.62 KiB) Viewed 818 times
7george

Re: Eriosyce & Copiapoa ID

Post by 7george »

Eriosyce villosa & Eriosyce paucicostata ?
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
cactidan

Post by cactidan »

The flowers on the first one certainly look like my coimasensis.
toson

Post by toson »

cactidan wrote:The flowers on the first one certainly look like my coimasensis.
thanks, pinkish red flower means they live in the south of Atacama desert near Talal just like eriosyce taltalensis.
Grimm

Post by Grimm »

1: Does indeed seem to be correct
2: I would agree with 7george that it is probably paucicostata
3: I'm not too familiar with Copiapoas, but that could easily be a cinerea, maybe the variety "minicarpa" - apparently they only develop the white wax when exposed to intense sunlight.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

All Neoporteria sensu stricto flowers are virtually the same with the inner petals surrounding the filaments and anthers, only really differing in size in the different species.

Looks OK for coimasensis to me, as all the senilis group (senilis, nidus, multicolor, gerocephala) are variable in their spination.

I would also agree the other one is probably the green bodied form of paucicostata.
toson

Post by toson »

Grimm wrote:1: Does indeed seem to be correct
2: I would agree with 7george that it is probably paucicostata
3: I'm not too familiar with Copiapoas, but that could easily be a cinerea, maybe the variety "minicarpa" - apparently they only develop the white wax when exposed to intense sunlight.
Glad to see U & Dave made the same conclusion on coimasensis, in fact i have different coimasensis from different sellers .How about this one full of golden spines ? it's my first 'coimasensis' which looks like eriosyce sociabilis maybe it is! :D
IMG_7935.JPG
IMG_7935.JPG (177.78 KiB) Viewed 711 times
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

You may find these articles on the generic confusion surrounding Eriosyce and Rimacactus of interest. You need to scroll right down towards the end for them.

http://www.essexsucculentreview.org.uk/ ... t-2016.pdf
Grimm

Post by Grimm »

toson wrote: Glad to see U & Dave made the same conclusion on coimasensis, in fact i have different coimasensis from different sellers .How about this one full of golden spines ? it's my first 'coimasensis' which looks like eriosyce sociabilis maybe it is! :D
IMG_7935.JPG
You give me too much credit, I just checked against the photos on Llifle.

As for the second possible coimasensis, if the colours of the spines in the photo are accurate to real life then it doesn't fit in with Ritter's or Katterman's description of coimasensis.

Taken from p1041 of Ritter's Kakteen in Sudamerika Book 3 - Chile (the Google translated)
Spines very variable, greyish brown, greyish-yellow or greyish-black, more rarely gray-pink, the Rst. always brighter than the Mst. until almost white, when they are very fine; St. often finely needle-shaped, especially the Rst., Often stronger; Mst. Always stronger than the Rst. and sometimes thick and pretty; Rst. 15-30, on old heads often half out of the way, radiating laterally in younger plants, around the ar., Straight or slightly bent towards the body, 1-4 cm long, depending on the specimen; at the top of the ar. sometimes a few more fine short sts can be added; Mst. Ca 8-20, some of them in semi-sandy position, but of strength and appearance of the remaining Mst., Diverging, straight or more often curved, usually 2-4 cm long, sometimes up to 7 cm.

Taken from p113 of Katterman's Eriosyce (Cactaceae): The genus revised and amplified
32.2. E. senilis subsp. coimasensis (Ritter) Kattermann
Spines straight to curved, thin, needlelike, greyish to blackish, radials 15-30, 10-40 mm, centrals 8-20, 20-40 mm.

I was going to post a little ramble about Eriosyce, but I'll save that for another post when I have more time and energy :lol: