Rebutia ID

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
ElieEstephane

Rebutia ID

Post by ElieEstephane »

Rebutia/aylostera hoffmannii is as close as i got but i'm not too convinced. Any ideas?
Attachments
20171122_234557-1280x960.jpg
20171122_234557-1280x960.jpg (148.44 KiB) Viewed 679 times
20171122_234749-1024x1025.jpg
20171122_234749-1024x1025.jpg (210.91 KiB) Viewed 679 times
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
stefan m.

Re: Rebutia ID

Post by stefan m. »

rebutia albiflora?
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

rebutia albiflora? pulvinosa?
cactidan

Post by cactidan »

It is almost certainly an aylostera as opposed to rebutia (they have been lumped together previously but they have been shown to not be closely related). I dont think it's albiflora, spines don't look long enough to me. You may have to wait for flowers to get a better idea, A. hoffmannii is possible.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Aylostera is now rebutia- outdated classification. You only cold label it as subgenus now. Cacti genealogy is currently a mess is and is due for a reclass, but now we are stuck for the current- needs the same one that created aloeae, which makes more sense.
But heres another suggestion -Rebutia fiebrigii
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Too little spines for albiflora and pulvinosa.
Speaking to an expert, he suggested the hybrid heliosa x albiflora "sunrise" being more common in nurseries than both species.
In any way, only the flowers will narrow it down
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

So its half albiflora? So i was half-right? I know hybrids exist and all, just didnt think they were popular among rebutias.
Still pretty weird. And there's the fact that only half of the images look like this one when i google it, the other half looks like a spinier heliosa.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Yeah that's what confused me and made me post it here
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

If its a hybrid, could explain genetic malleability(recessive and dominant traits).
Perhaps if one were to analyze numerous specimens, they could find how much genes affect its appearance. Id guess it would probably range from completely looking like albiflora, to something completely looking like heliosa. Id take a wild guess and say yours probably belongs somewhere in the middle, leaning towards albiflora. Now the issue with your plant- what makes it slightly harder to ID is its etiolation.
But then again, south american plants arent my forte, save for a few genuses.
cactidan

Post by cactidan »

stefan m. wrote:Aylostera is now rebutia- outdated classification. You only cold label it as subgenus now. Cacti genealogy is currently a mess is and is due for a reclass, but now we are stuck for the current- needs the same one that created aloeae, which makes more sense.
But heres another suggestion -Rebutia fiebrigii
Actually the more up to date classifications have shot the lumping of rebutia down and aylostera/mediolobivia types are not closely related to them. Just a good example of convergent disallowed - see forum rules. But yes a variety of fiebrigii is also possible.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

The same one that says browningia is related to rebutia? Illgo with my gut feeling and thats nonsense. You do realize how ridiculous that sounds? Unless someone publishes a very detailed genetic research, with proof that they have common ancestry via divergent disallowed - see forum rules, that will remain funny. The issue is that aylostera and rebutia have been so often clumped together, that the convolution affected both genuses to the point that you cant tell now which species belongs in which. While ill admit some members are akin to Echinopsis-Lobivia subgenus, most form hybrids and look alike.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Also this forum doesnt allow the usagge of
Echinopsi Vatteri
Opuntia Litorialis
Uebelmania
Trihocereus Imperlias
Orthophytyn Navoides
word.