ID please

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Jun

ID please

Post by Jun »

What is this?
Attachments
A7631AF2-34F4-4969-A7EB-A6418C139AD7.jpeg
A7631AF2-34F4-4969-A7EB-A6418C139AD7.jpeg (167.16 KiB) Viewed 587 times
stefan m.

Re: ID please

Post by stefan m. »

Ill make a wild guess its some kind of cereus monstrosse dwarf/crtistata
What exact cultivar it is i do not know. My guess its
ming thing
petra
Jun

Post by Jun »

Thanks Stefan. I was thinking the same although l couldnt find anything similar.
Im not familiar with this monstrose types.
Do they just turn up in different forms?
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Cereus monstrose has two main varieties- regular sized(flowers and fruits, just looks ugly), and dwarf varieties.
Ive had one type that looked like a miniature cardoon. And it didnt look like the one sold in the market either.
Basically there are different cultivars with different traits. Depends on who managed to replicate and "license "
the type. Also with cereus its hard to tell wheter is crested or monstrose, and i think in your case its both.
And i think yours is actually either "petra" or "wild crest" cultivar now.
Personally i dont really like monstrose plants because they grow slowly and are hard to clean from pests.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Unless they are a well known monstrose, the only way you can usually get a reliable identification is if you get a reversion to normal growth that can be identified.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Hey DaveW could you help out with my opuntia issue?
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Don't usually grow the larger padded Opuntia's or many Cerei Stephan, since they take up too much greenhouse room. There are so many Opuntia species I would not like to guess. Our American cousins here are more likely to name it for you.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

I dont even have a greenhouse, all of them are in a apartment.
While i like tiny plants, most of them i have to start from seed, and are not commercially available here in macedonia.
Nearly all are wholesale imports, and i had to pick them because of fast growth speed and reliability .