Help in identifying please

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Brix

Help in identifying please

Post by Brix »

Hi there,

I have this beautiful plant, please can you help identifying it? Had it for about 3 years, and now is the first time it has flowers

Thank you
Attachments
JEPG.jpg
JEPG.jpg (89.37 KiB) Viewed 481 times
JPEG 2.jpg
JPEG 2.jpg (129.06 KiB) Viewed 481 times
JPEG.jpg
JPEG.jpg (112.81 KiB) Viewed 481 times
teo

Re: Help in identifying please

Post by teo »

The stems and the flowers look like Cleistocactus winterii BUT the colors are wrong. The stem should have yellow spines and flowers should be orange. I guess it's some other cleisto (maybe a hybrid?)
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Certainly not a Cleistocactus sensu stricto from the flower.

As you say Teo it is reminiscent of a Winterocereus winteri flower, but having slightly hairy stems like W. colodemono, though not hairy enough to be W. colodemono, therefore could be a hybrid since it does not fit Bolivicereus either?
toadstar

Post by toadstar »

Beautiful. It looks like a cuddly octopus.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

An interesting quote on the Web for Cleistocactus, Hildewinteria, Winteria, call it what you will:-

"Hildewintera hybrids: Hildewimtera aureispina (now renamed Cleistocactus winterii) is an old species that has been intensively hybridized with other cacti (especially Echinopsis and Lobivia sp. but also Matucana, Akersia, ecc) giving rise to some interesting intergeneric hybrid.
Hildewintera hybrid develops really amazing flowers of different colours on the original pendulous "hildewintera" body and many of these hybrids have cultivar names. This plants form soon spectacular clumps with several flowers at a time and are quite a sight. They are often thicker, stronger, larger growing than H. aureispina and tend not to have the typical thin stemmed offsets. The offsets produced being more strongly attached to the main stems"

All of the hybrids I can find seem to be with H. aureispina, having golden spined stems. If yours is a hybrid I would think it is a cross between H. colodemono and probably something like Akersia roseiflora?

http://www.atomic-plant.de/bilder/Kakte ... flora.html

http://episllum.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/ ... nonis.html

http://www.hildewintera.com/hildewinter ... mples.html
Brix

Post by Brix »

Thank you all for your comments and help, very much appreciated.