Identification Required

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
rdelarge

Identification Required

Post by rdelarge »

Hello Experts,

I was wondering if someone could help me identifying the new family member.
I would like to know what kind of cactus is so I can determine how often to water it. If you have recommendations on this, they will be deeply appreciated.

Sincere Thanks,
Pedro Reta
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2017-10-15 at 14.06.24.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2017-10-15 at 14.06.24.jpeg (80.32 KiB) Viewed 471 times
ElieEstephane

Re: Identification Required

Post by ElieEstephane »

rdelarge wrote:Hello Experts,

I would like to know what kind of cactus is so I can determine how often to water it. If you have recommendations on this, they will be deeply appreciated.

Sincere Thanks,
Pedro Reta
This is a Stenocereus pruinosus. A bit slow to start with but it will kick in later. Avoid full harsh sun since it doesn't have many spines to shield it from the sun. Part sun is fine when young and water only when the soil is completely dry.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
rdelarge

Post by rdelarge »

elieestephane wrote:

Sincere Thanks,
Pedro Reta
This is a Stenocereus pruinosus. A bit slow to start with but it will kick in later. Avoid full harsh sun since it doesn't have many spines to shield it from the sun. Part sun is fine when young and water only when the soil is completely dry.
Wooow, I don't know how to express my gratitude. It's exactly the information I was looking for.
You were so accurate, I'm looking at photos and it's the exact same plant! :O!!!!
Thank you so much!!!
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

rdelarge wrote:
elieestephane wrote:

Sincere Thanks,
Pedro Reta
Wooow, I don't know how to express my gratitude. It's exactly the information I was looking for.
You were so accurate, I'm looking at photos and it's the exact same plant! :O!!!!
Thank you so much!!!
You are quite welcome. If you feel confident enough, you should change the soil to a mineral mix as the mix commercial cacti come in tends to stay wet for too long. Thats a recipe for disaster.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
rdelarge

Post by rdelarge »

elieestephane wrote:
rdelarge wrote:
elieestephane wrote: This is a Stenocereus pruinosus. A bit slow to start with but it will kick in later. Avoid full harsh sun since it doesn't have many spines to shield it from the sun. Part sun is fine when young and water only when the soil is completely dry.
Thank you so much!!!
You are quite welcome. If you feel confident enough, you should change the soil to a mineral mix as the mix commercial cacti come in tends to stay wet for too long. Thats a recipe for disaster.
Do you have an advise on how can I create a proper mineral mix for my cactus :)?
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Well the optimal mix is to use pumice and decomposed granite. However, any crushed rock (with the exception of limestone, dolomite and shells) will do. I found that adding 20-30% compost leads to good results.
rdelarge

Post by rdelarge »

elieestephane wrote:Well the optimal mix is to use pumice and decomposed granite. However, any crushed rock (with the exception of limestone, dolomite and shells) will do. I found that adding 20-30% compost leads to good results.

Thank you so much!!!