ID request N° 8

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
elquisco

ID request N° 8

Post by elquisco »

Please indicate name of this cactus. Thanks
Attachments
ac1.JPG
ac1.JPG (103.65 KiB) Viewed 772 times
ac2.JPG
ac2.JPG (123.9 KiB) Viewed 772 times
Aiko

Re: ID request N° 8

Post by Aiko »

Have you tried it yourself to find out the name?
So far all your message are about putting others to work to name the plants for you. Sure it is fine to aks some help from others, but don't just only take from the forum and not contribute... And you will learn more by trying to do the work yourself if you are genuine interested in succulents.
elquisco

Post by elquisco »

Dear Aiko
First, I find your comment somewhat insolent.
I am a beginner (start on August) and I have many many questions about cactus. Even if you do not believe it I try to identify the species but it's still confusing for me and I just try to check, humbly.
Second, if my ID requests bother you, just do not look at them.
Third, if this writing is not right, excuse me because English is not my native language.
Fourth, if no one had doubts about cactus identification these websites would not exist.
Fifth, now regarding this cactus, I suspect it could be an Echinopsis. What do you think. Can you help me?. I would appreciate.
Sixth, I say goodbye to you affectionately
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

If you are a beginner one of the best things is to join your national cactus and succulent society, if you have one, and ask if there are any more collectors near you who can help you. In the UK we have a widespread Society branch structure with monthly meetings and my local branch helped me when I had just started.

It is often hard to identify a plant from a picture, even in colour, and the pictures were black and white when I started. It is often easier when you see the plant in the flesh. Cactus clubs are also a good source of plants. Your avatar does not say what country you are in, but Cactus Mall gives most of the worldwide cactus societies:-

http://www.cactus-mall.com/clubs.html

Eventually when pictures are no help there is no substitute for being able to read a proper botanical description in order to identify a plant, since it may all come down to "spine counting" in the end to distinguish between closely related species. Also plants out of flower are more difficult to identify than when in flower. Here is a typical botanical description for Uebelmannia pectinifera v. eriocactoides:-

"Stem of adult plants clavate or cylindrical, 30–50(–80) cm high, only the upper 1/3–1/4 clothed with spines, base of stem without conspicuous spines and areoles. Epidermis covered by whitish (to bluish) bloom, newly growing stem apex is light green, soon covered by a coating. Young apex usually without wool, only exceptionally covered with a little wool. 18–25 straight ribs, areoles located individually on ribs and not joined into a single line. In young plants spines on the areoles pointing in all directions, soft, needle-like, 5–10 mm, 11–20 per areole; in mature plants spines straight, nearly pectinately arranged, sometimes spread, 1–4 per areole, stiff, new spines yellow brown, contrasting with older spines, which are grey, 20–35(–40) mm long. Quantitative and qualitative characters of the flowers are identical with those of the other taxa of the U. pectinifera aggregate.
Typus. Central Eastern Brazil, State of Minas Gerais, in the vicinity of the city of Diamantina, on quartzite rocks in the Serra do Espinhaço Mountains, west of Inhaí village, 1100 m"

In the past everybody eventually bought a good book on the subject containing botanical descriptions of the plants, but now everybody seems to just rely on finding a picture of something similar on the web. However good reference works on cacti are now rather dear. Good as pictures are they can be misleading since there is usually no sense of scale. I read where a beginner once identified their Rebutia as Echinocactus grusonii from a picture, a mistake that would not be made seeing the plant in the flesh, since one is much larger than the other.

We all have to learn, so don't be put off, as you eventually will identify most cacti. However You will often have plants in your collection with provisional names for years which prove wrong when they flower, no matter how long you have been collecting.

Your plant does look like an Echinopsis, but what species at the moment I am uncertain. Grow it on then show it again, preferably in flower as that helps.
elquisco

Post by elquisco »

Dear sir
Thank you for your comments and above all for your advice. We will keep them in mind.
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

It could well be Echinopsis oxygona
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti