ID please

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Mirrorpad

ID please

Post by Mirrorpad »

New to the forum and Cacti. I have a plant, grew from a seed, which is supposedly a cactus but looks odd.
Is this a Cactus and if what type is it?
Thanks for the help.
Attachments
IMG-20170925-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20170925-WA0004.jpg (47.92 KiB) Viewed 532 times
toadstar

Re: ID please

Post by toadstar »

It's not a cactus. I'd bet that the soil you used was contaminated with some other type of seed unfortunately.

Newly sprouted cacti will tend to look something more like this:

Mirrorpad

Post by Mirrorpad »

Thanks for that. I did think the same as I googled the seedlings and they all were similar to your pictures.
The compost was sealed and was separated between 3 of us for our cactus growing comp (these were 99p kits) and all 3 of us have the same plants growing so I assume the seeds were for some other plant. Think we are gonna buy some new seeds from a better source and try again.
Thanks again for your help Toadstar.
Mirrorpad

Post by Mirrorpad »

Another quick question whilst I've got you, could I plants seeds now or should I wait for spring? (I'm in the UK which it is now autumn so not a lot of sun)
Thanks
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Mirrorpad wrote:Another quick question whilst I've got you, could I plants seeds now or should I wait for spring? (I'm in the UK which it is now autumn so not a lot of sun)
Thanks
You could start now under grow lights or any cfl (preferably 6500K) in a cardboard box so you'll get a headstart. Come spring your seedlings will be decently sized to continue to grow in spring and summer.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Most of the early sowers in the UK start sowing in January using heat in the greenhouse, or in a centrally heated house just on the windowsill. As was said above, if you start towards the end of the year you will probably need artificial lighting.

The BCSS do a seed raising leaflet, downloadable link below:-

http://society.bcss.org.uk/images/Cult/ ... atemix.pdf
Mirrorpad

Post by Mirrorpad »

Thanks for the responses. I'll look into the lights and have a look at the leaflet.
Dave.