Trichocereus pachanoi or Trichocereus peruvianus or other?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
olof_n

Trichocereus pachanoi or Trichocereus peruvianus or other?

Post by olof_n »

Hi!

A number of years ago I received seeds from two different sources.
The seeds would be Trichocereus pachanoi and Trichocereus peruvianus seeds.

The problem is I got the cacti plants mixed up and I also gave some away to friends.
Now I do not know which cacti is what.

Another thing I wonder about is when the cacti will flower?
"No1" is my larges, 60cm (23.6") tall and 12cm(4.7") thick (diameter). Is it big enough for flowering?

/Olof
Attachments
no1.JPG
no1.JPG (54.43 KiB) Viewed 3404 times
no2.JPG
no2.JPG (63.55 KiB) Viewed 3404 times
no3.JPG
no3.JPG (63.95 KiB) Viewed 3404 times
no4.JPG
no4.JPG (65.81 KiB) Viewed 3404 times
Grimm

Re: Trichocereus pachanoi or Trichocereus peruvianus or other?

Post by Grimm »

I did a similar thing with a pair of my pachanoi and peruvianus! The only way I could tell mine apart was that I still had some correctly labelled so I could compare - the central spine on my peruvianus tend to point upwards, whereas my pachanoi tend to point straight out, but that could be a quirk of my particular varieties, and they are still young in any case. Is there any chance you could chase up some of them ones you gave away to compare?

Just to make things complicated, I have a pachanoi from another source that looks quite different to both!

I'm not sure what size/age they start to flower I'm afraid, although I think I recall that some can be very stubborn to flower even at large sizes and in experienced hands.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Apparently they are both variable as to spination and some consider they are synonymous. I believe Curt Backeberg introduced a virtually spineless form of pachanoi for use as a grafting stock.

See:-

https://trichocereus.net/trichocereus-p ... echinopsis

https://trichocereus.net/trichocereus-p ... -peruviana
Grimm

Post by Grimm »

Here's two small cuttings taken from plants that I bought from the same supplier at the same time and grown in the same conditions, as you can see there's not really any difference. Without others of exactly the same variety to compare to I'd never be able to figure out which was which.

pachanoi:

peruvianus:

olof_n

Post by olof_n »

Thanks for you answers. I really appreciate it.
One thing that is different between No1 and the other is the color. No1 has a blue tone and the other much more dark green.

I understand it is very hard to see the difference between pachanoi and peruvianus. But what do you think, is the cacti for sure Trichocereus pachanoi or Trichocereus peruvianus. Could they be of some other kind of cacti?
jfabiao

Post by jfabiao »

With the amount of hybridization and selective breeding that's been going on with these "species", it's really very hard to tell which species you have (if any). On the other hand, you could follow what's proposed in this article and name them all Trichocereus macrogonus (or Echinopsis macrogona) and leave it like that.
Z, in (mostly) sunny Lisbon.
http://jardineiroazelha.blogspot.pt/
Grimm

Post by Grimm »

olof_n wrote:But what do you think, is the cacti for sure Trichocereus pachanoi or Trichocereus peruvianus. Could they be of some other kind of cacti?
They do all seem to be pachanoi and/or peruvianus in my opinion. If the seed sellers are trustworthy then you can be certain they are what they're meant to be.
olof_n

Post by olof_n »

They do all seem to be pachanoi and/or peruvianus in my opinion. If the seed sellers are trustworthy then you can be certain they are what they're meant to be.
That sounds great :)
Thanks again for your knowledge.