Cardon?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
ElieEstephane

Cardon?

Post by ElieEstephane »

The small cactus was initially thought to be be a pachycereus pringlei but it kind of looks different. In addition it is grown from a cutting not seed.
Ideas?
Thanks!
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Tofterigen

Re: Cardon?

Post by Tofterigen »

Hi
I think it is a Pachy pringl indeed. This species is quite variable (especially concerning the color of the fresh spines, varying from deep red to pale white) and a cutting always lokks a little different than a plant grown from seed.

greetings,

Tofterigen (from autumnal Germany)
ElieEstephane

Re: Cardon?

Post by ElieEstephane »

Tofterigen wrote:Hi
I think it is a Pachy pringl indeed. This species is quite variable (especially concerning the color of the fresh spines, varying from deep red to pale white) and a cutting always lokks a little different than a plant grown from seed.

greetings,

Tofterigen (from autumnal Germany)
Thanks Tofterigen!
The thing that made me doubt it is that it's a cutting. I read somewhere that pachycereus pringlei is very hard to root.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Tofterigen

Re: very hard to root

Post by Tofterigen »

Maybe, but some people especially like to do things which are hard or even dangerous. To me it seems most important that things are interesting and satisfying. This could be another reason to root Pachycereus.