Long (sprawling?) cactus ID

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
MoonB

Long (sprawling?) cactus ID

Post by MoonB »

Hello everyone, I'm new here but I've been perusing the site and love all the great info :) After much searching I just can't seem to ID this cactus growing in the yard of the house I moved into. As you can see from the photos it varies in size but I can't tell if it's considered shrubby or sprawling and no blooms. It looks like so many other species so you can see why it's been difficult to identify especially for someone not well versed in this field. This is a fairly big lot with LOTS of trees, plants, etc. so I've been avidly trying to identify what I've got :-k Any suggestions are much appreciated. I look forward to learning more about cactus and succulents through here!
IMG_5086.jpg
IMG_5086.jpg (202.65 KiB) Viewed 1063 times
IMG_5087.jpg
IMG_5087.jpg (346.73 KiB) Viewed 1063 times
PS-I'm in S. Tx bordering Northern Mexico if that helps. Not sure if it's native for just planted by the previous owner.
toadstar

Re: Long (sprawling?) cactus ID

Post by toadstar »

It could be a type of Selenicereus.
http://cactiguide.com/cactus/?genus=selenicereus
vlani

Post by vlani »

Harissia may be?
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Agree with Vlani that it may be a Harissia. See:-

Click on pictures to enlarge them.

http://cactiguide.com/cactus/?genus=harrisia
MoonB

Post by MoonB »

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I've been looking through these but also Cereus and many look alike to me. Now my question is, what's the difference between Harrisia and Cereus? I search one online I get results for the other. I didn't mention it earlier or get a clear image of the top but the cactus has 4 ribs. I've tried searching that way too but can't seem to find anything.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Cereus is a genus, but sometimes the term Cereus or Cerei are used as a collective term for all the similar tall thin cacti, therefore a Google search for "Cereus" will often both bring up the genus itself plus other Cerei, or plants of similar habit to the genus Cereus.

I would say it does not belong to Cereus the genus, but more akin to the other Cereoide genera already suggested.

As to difference between Harrisia and Cereus, I believe Harrisia has hairs in the scale axils on the flower, but Cereus does not, but I may be wrong?