Second ID... Mammillaria?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
ianc

Second ID... Mammillaria?

Post by ianc »

Hi all.
Here is the second of my cacti... I think I have correctly identified this one as Mammillaria Backebergiana

It is approximately 2" tall and 2" wide. Recently repotted into a 3" dia pot.
Mammillaria Backebergiana.JPG
Mammillaria Backebergiana.JPG (114.21 KiB) Viewed 695 times
You may see in the picture purple flower buds. There were about four buds when the picture was taken.

One of the buds fully opened last week and produced a purple flower. Unfortunately the flower only lasted about two days then closed up again.
Is this normal?
I wish I had taken a picture straight away but assumed they would last longer than that and the buds have now almost gone.
The shape and colour of the flower and the yellow-brown spines makes it look remarkably similar to other pictures of Backeberigana that I have seen.
Last edited by ianc on Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grimm

Re: Second ID... Mammillaria?

Post by Grimm »

Most cactus flowers are only open for a day or two, which can be a real pain if it's overcast because then the flower doesn't open properly. Once establish though, many will open several flowers over a few days/weeks/months, flower several times a year, or produce one massive display of flowers. My M.zeilmaniana for example is only about 6 years old but flowered every day for about 3 months this year - usually with just one or two flowers open for two or three days each, but still made a good show :)
ianc

Post by ianc »

Thanks for the flower info Grimm.

I only ever saw one purple flower open, though there were about four buds.
Is this correctly identified as M.backebergiana ?

The flowers have now gone but pods have grown. Since the picture below, three more pods have appeared.
Mamm closeup.jpg
Mamm closeup.jpg (182.11 KiB) Viewed 634 times
Last edited by ianc on Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

M.backebergiana is how it's spelled, with just one N - as you spelled it in your first post :). Yes, I think that's the correct ID.
Spence :mrgreen:
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

i've had LOTS of cactus flower since i put my stuff in a greenhouse ... and almost all of the flowers only last a couple of days. some only last a single day. sorry.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a