Gymno identification.

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
ElieEstephane

Gymno identification.

Post by ElieEstephane »

This is what i always thought was a G. Baldianum but comparing to another G. Baldianum i can see some differences. The color is lighter and the shape is taller rather than globular. The flower buds are red rather than green. Could it be just a hybrid?
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Armen Tsirunyan

Re: Gymno identification.

Post by Armen Tsirunyan »

It's not always an easy task to pinpoint the exact species of Gymnos but it could well be one of the varieties of G. anisitsii. It could also be G. baldianum. I have sown it 2 years ago and I now have ~20 2-year old plants and they all look quite different from each other.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Armen Tsirunyan wrote:It's not always an easy task to pinpoint the exact species of Gymnos but it could well be one of the varieties of G. anisitsii. It could also be G. baldianum. I have sown it 2 years ago and I now have ~20 2-year old plants and they all look quite different from each other.
Thanks for your reply! The one i thought was G. Baldianum flowered today and it's a white flower which is weird.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

White flowers could be G. anisitsii, the one with red buds probably is baldianum.
Spence :mrgreen:
7george

Post by 7george »

There is also G. baldianum var. albiflorum --> see last Cactus explorer, p. 47.
(http://www.cactusexplorers.org.uk/Explo ... mplete.pdf)
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Flower colour can vary in many species. The problem can be historically the plant collectors in the past did not collect a representative sample of the population and then nurserymen bred from only the most attractive forms. Therefore we get a standard, but possibly untypical clone in cultivation, which may not match the variation of subsequent re-collections in modern times.

If you read Graham Charles Gymnocalycium book you can see illustration of flower colour variation in quite a few species, also what was the same species being separated into other species or varieties on flower colour alone because in the past the describer did not know population variation..
Last edited by DaveW on Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Thanks for your input guys! One of the flowers has 2 flowers inside it which reminded me of another post that the same gymno but i can't find it.