6 years old, but what is it, and what am I doing wrong?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
K3370n

6 years old, but what is it, and what am I doing wrong?

Post by K3370n »

Started this from a variety seed pack 6 years ago this spring. Only seed that germinated, and it has been a confusing experience....
I can't get the image to work so here's a link... and attached...

https://goo.gl/photos/eUWfKZznFPFytu9M7

I think I have overwatered it, but now I only water it when it starts to lean, for fear of overwatering. I'm pretty sure its in a 50/50 mix of sand and pottting soil, just something I came across online undoubtedly.

But with the new addition, I just can't stand not knowing what this is anymore. I've given it up for dead a couple times, but it won't die. So now its completely unable to support itself... and I just am at a loss. :?:

Any help appreciated.
Attachments
220170309_174408.jpg
220170309_174408.jpg (31.9 KiB) Viewed 1410 times
K3370n

Re: 6 years old, but what is it, and what am I doing wrong?

Post by K3370n »

After searching a little... I'm assuming its also not getting enough light. My best window is west facing so it only gets the evening sun.
toadstar

Post by toadstar »

Yup, it looks highly etiolated. The more sunlight you can give it, the better.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

It's an Opuntia (commonly called prickly pears), hard to tell which species. Getting them enough sun indoors is difficult, best if you can set them outside during the summer. In the winter it should be allowed to go dormant, it doesn't need sun then.
Spence :mrgreen:
K3370n

Post by K3370n »

Awesome thanks. I'll read up and... maybe I can stick this under a grow light instead of my window....
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

You could have it by the window and put a spot light on it - the more light, the better. It doesn't have to be a special "grow light", just needs to be really bright!
shoshana5000

Post by shoshana5000 »

OMG, I love your plant, and love how you have provided for its, well, handicaps! Very kind of you. Funny, I have tried the seeds from those variety packs several times without success until two days ago. I finally have *one* minute little sprout. I don't know why I'm even trying, because the only genus listed on the pack I would even really want at this point is another Opuntia. Maybe I'll get lucky like you did.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

The problem can be germinating the large hard seeds like Opuntia's, and those variety packs usually contain quite a few of the larger seeded cacti because they are common and cheap and being large more obvious for the buyer. You never get any of the minute dust like seed of the more desirable genera like Aztekium's or Strombocactus in those packets, since you can hardly see them with the naked eye and unless you know the novice buyer would think the packet was empty.

Probably in the wild passing through the gut of animals that eat the fruit and being bathed in stomach acid breaks down the germination inhibitors in the seed coat of those hard seeded varieties. Also not all seeds germinate immediately, some can lie around in habitat for years until the germination inhibitors in the seed are broken down or simply being blown around scarifies, abrades and breaks down the seed coat. You can try nicking the seed to get them to germinate quicker.

The problem is when we set seeds we expect them to immediately germinate, but nature does not work that way. Some seeds germinate instantly, but some can lie around for a few years before doing so, but we tend to throw away the pots after a year. Best to just stick the pots with poor germination outside for a year or so then bring them in and treat like newly planted ones and see if you get further germination.

See:-

http://www.cactus-art.biz/note-book/Dic ... cation.htm

http://living-rocks.blogspot.co.uk/2014 ... n-you.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGG2-YpGDWA
AlanW

Post by AlanW »

Hi there, If it was mine, I would take off the large pad, let it dry at the cut & encourage it to root in a dry mix. I don't think you will ever be satisfied if you persevere with it in its present form. Sorry to be so brutal. Good luck whichever way you decide
shoshana5000

Post by shoshana5000 »

Thanks, DaveW, some astute thoughts and some helpful links.

I agree, AlanW, that's a great idea. As much as I enjoy coddling and nurturing the weak along, at some point it probably won't be viable or able to be adequately propped. Might as well trim it and end up with two plants--especially if they can receive more light.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

It's already been pruned - the OP started a new thread on the "Sick Cacti" forum. Read about it there - http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... 24&t=38567