Opuntia for ID

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Grimm

Opuntia for ID

Post by Grimm »

This is an Opuntia grown from a pad from my Dad's collection. It etiolated on the windowsill, so I put it outside last year, and the photo shows the growth it put on during summer. I think its Opuntia ficus-indica but would like some second opinions please :)

Last edited by Grimm on Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greenknight

Re: Opuntia

Post by greenknight »

Looks like Opuntia ficus-indica to me, too.
Spence :mrgreen:
Grimm

Re: Opuntia for ID

Post by Grimm »

After a summer of good growth I have revised my possible identification to Opuntia bergeriana

ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

I have seen, worked with, picked and grafted my hair share of opuntia ficus indica and none of them look like this. Have you considered brasiliopuntia?
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Looks like the opuntia elata, rampant im some regions of greece.Long black spines and dark skin match a similar plant that i have. Other candidate is a non mutant monachantha. The shape is weird because its seedgrown and immature , given age it will have a different appearance-only pad clones actually resemble the mother plant.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

stefan m. wrote:Looks like the opuntia elata, rampant im some regions of greece.Long black spines and dark skin match a similar plant that i have. Other candidate is a non mutant monachantha. The shape is weird because its seedgrown and immature , given age it will have a different appearance-only pad clones actually resemble the mother plant.
Re-read the original post - it's not a seedling, it was grown from a pad.

It has changed dramatically, though. Is it in better light now? Certainly doesn't look like ficus-indica any more.
Spence :mrgreen:
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

The long pads are a feature of both monacantha and elata, so theres that.But the main etiolated tubelike stem is pretty weird by itself.
Brasiliopuntia is way more spinier, with sharper leaf edges and cruder stem-so it falls of as a candidate.
FIcus indica is thicker, and has more rotund pads with different spines if any.
Therese no way of knowing for certain unless you have a photo of the orginial plant.
Nic

Post by Nic »

It looks liked non mutant monacantha to me, I have a similar plant except,it has a small bit of monstrosity on a few pads.
There is no cactus you can't eat, but you just might regret it if you eat the wrong one.
Grimm

Post by Grimm »

Thanks all :) And yes, it has been in much better light, although it is back indoors at the moment. It survived outside for last year's mild winter, with just the youngest pads dying off, but I'm not trying my luck again this year as it is meant to be a harsher winter. It also bronzed heavily last spring when the days got longer but before it got warm enough for it to start growing again, which was an interesting surprise.

Seems like it is probably monacantha given how glossy the pads are. The problem I've had with IDing it is that Llifle etc don't have many photos of the Opuntias, I'm guessing that they're not popular house plants!!!
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

I'm guessing that they're not popular house plants!!!
While their growth and durability are parallel to none..... opuntias are invasive, filled with glochids, some have really sharp spines too, are not easy to handle, grow pretty big even in non optimal condiitons(i have 1,5 meter tall opuntia, ive seen monstrose monachanthas bigger most housetreess). and take a while to flower.
My first physical contact with a opuntia was a painful one.
I like opuntias a lot, but if people are put off by their bad traits i understand their decision.