Two Mysteries and a Rhipsalis

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
shoshana5000

Two Mysteries and a Rhipsalis

Post by shoshana5000 »

Hi, I was trying to acquire a Rhipsalis pilocarpa, and finally succeeded with my third purchase (third plant from left). So now I have no idea what the first two plants are. They aren't in the greatest shape, but hopefully someone can identify them for me. The first one has very soft, non-injurious spines like the R. pilocarpa, but the spines on the second one definitely penetrate the skin.

Thanks for any help!

Shoshana

Cactus I.D.
Cactus I.D.
Zrhipsalis.jpg (50.83 KiB) Viewed 837 times
greenknight

Re: Two Mysteries and a Rhipsalis

Post by greenknight »

Close-up photos of the "mysteries" would help. My guess on the middle one is R. baccifera ssp. horrida.
Spence :mrgreen:
shoshana5000

Post by shoshana5000 »

Thanks, Daiv, sorry the pics aren't better. I think you're right that one may be R. Baccifera ssp. horrida, but I think it's the first plant, not the middle. The middle one is a lot like a Diso.flagella (whatever a rat tail cactus is, I can't remember), but smaller and the spines are white. The plant it came from had flowers that were dark pink or red (they were wilted). Hmmmm... it drives me crazy not to know what one of my plants is!
shoshana5000

Post by shoshana5000 »

Oops! I meant to say, "Thanks, Greenknight!"
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Without a good picture to go on I think you have probably identified the middle one correctly. It looks like a weak Disocactus (Aporocactus) flagelliformis. Now it's potted up it may grow more robustly. As Spence says it is always difficult to identify many plants from pictures unless there is some idea of scale or a good closeup. I would let your first one grow on a bit more to produce more characteristic growth, then post a new picture and ask again.