Astrophytum on own roots?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
zagoric

Astrophytum on own roots?

Post by zagoric »

Hello.

These were advertised as being on their own roots, so I was surprised when I received these as I've only seen fibrous roots on A. myriostigma.

Could these be the plants' own roots or is it the left over from a grafting stock?

Thanks.
1d5QCWB.jpg
1d5QCWB.jpg (48.48 KiB) Viewed 798 times
R7OqGtm.jpg
R7OqGtm.jpg (61.17 KiB) Viewed 798 times
DaveW

Re: Astrophytum on own roots?

Post by DaveW »

Looks like an old buried grafting stock to me where the green tissue has wasted away and only the vascular bundles are left, rather like the one in this link on the right.

http://www.lapshin.org/cultivar/N21/PIC ... photo3.jpg
MagiCarpus

Post by MagiCarpus »

I've been browsing through Hanazono's post recently http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... 22&t=34104, and it seems like what you received was a scion still attached to the vascular bundle of the stock, although I could be wrong. If I am right, it would seem that the proprietor had been dishonest, and I'm sorry. On the bright side, given time, the vascular bundle would eventually die and the scion will sprout it's own roots.

Edit: looks like I was right since DaveW was a step ahead :lol:
I suck at identification :dontknow:
zagoric

Post by zagoric »

Thank you. That's what I assumed, but just want to check to see if this was something normal I had not come across before I accused the seller of dishonesty.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Sometimes the roots of the scion will eventually grow right through the dead stocks vascular bundles. Often when you unpot some of the Melocactus and other plants sold in the UK from the Continent you will find they were originally stump grafted and later the stock buried. The green part of the stock then gradually degenerates since it can no longer photosynthesize below soil level and the scion is either still supported through the vascular bundles, or as MagiCarpus says either roots through the old dead stock, or from above it.

It's surprising though how the soft photosynthesizing stem tissue can degenerate and the vascular bundles still keep working and a plant alive. Copiapoa decorticans, though not grafted, gets it's name from this habit (decorticans = off + skin, therefore, peeling skin) with the heads still alive and growing even though the tissue of the stem below has degenerated and only the vascular bundles are still functioning.

Note the long withered stem on the bottom right of this link with the head still growing.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/damiano_s ... 075889596/