Echinopsis oxygona? Help me confirm this old gift cactus

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
NoHallOfFame

Echinopsis oxygona? Help me confirm this old gift cactus

Post by NoHallOfFame »

I know this poor little thing is beyond overdo for re-potting. I'd really like to know what I'm actually dealing with before I go cutting it out of that pot and messing with it's roots.
Comparing pics I'm pretty certain it's Echinopsis, and think oxygona is likely. I can find some old pics of it flowering or some ones my grandpa owns flowering if that will help (he's the one who gave it to us, but can't remember what kind they are, gosh darn-it #-o).

And this is a bit blurry/badly lit, but shows the fluffy puff balls that have since fallen off.

Help a newbie out here, huh?
greenknight

Re: Echinopsis oxygona? Help me confirm this old gift cactus

Post by greenknight »

Echinopsis eyriesii - but many authorities now consider it just a form of oxygona. Could also be a hybrid, no way to tell without seeing the flowers. Makes no difference to the care, which is pretty easy - get it in a bigger pot!

The fuzzy balls were flower buds that failed to develop.
Spence :mrgreen:
NoHallOfFame

Post by NoHallOfFame »

greenknight wrote:Echinopsis eyriesii - but many authorities now consider it just a form of oxygona. Could also be a hybrid, no way to tell without seeing the flowers. Makes no difference to the care, which is pretty easy - get it in a bigger pot!

The fuzzy balls were flower buds that failed to develop.
Yeah, I thought something like that. No one waters the darn thing regularly, which is probably why. (Partly my fault for not stepping up and just getting the habit of doing it myself :oops: , but a bit annoying when it's technically my parents cactus and not mine. ](*,) )

Thanks, and don't worry - getting it into a new pot is on the top of the to-do list.
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

Don't be afraid to put it out in direct sunlight. Strong light and heat. Mine turn a little yellow in the summer but green up at the start of spring. It is getting towards the end of the growing season so it may not flower. :)
NoHallOfFame

Post by NoHallOfFame »

cactushobbyman wrote:Don't be afraid to put it out in direct sunlight. Strong light and heat. Mine turn a little yellow in the summer but green up at the start of spring. It is getting towards the end of the growing season so it may not flower. :)
A bit late, but anyway.....

I hardly expect it to flower any this year, given how neglected it is. No one here is afraid of putting it in sunlight, the issue is that no one remembered to take it outside when summer came. Next year it will go outside when things warm up. It is currently outside, though I need to move it back in or undercover because of coming storms.