Need help with ID for these please..

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
NY-Desert

Need help with ID for these please..

Post by NY-Desert »

The first one I picked up in Morenci,Az last year, two 3 inchers that have clustered. I know it's an AZ native but that's about it?
Morenci,Az cluster cactus
Morenci,Az cluster cactus
Morenci.png (471.18 KiB) Viewed 817 times
Then there's this one from Walleyworld a year ago it was only 2 inches and now a whopping 8.5 incher ! It has grown like mad.. The ribs are angled sharply behind its spines.
WalleyWorld column cactus
WalleyWorld column cactus
Wallyworld Column cactus.png (474.19 KiB) Viewed 817 times
Thanks for any help !
greenknight

Re: Need help with ID for these please..

Post by greenknight »

Mammillaria grahamii for the first one?
Spence :mrgreen:
vlani

Post by vlani »

Escobaria vivipara 1st plant. In AZ it is the most common cactus.

2nd looks like some sort of Stenocereus, but I can easily be wrong not seen flowers.
NY-Desert

Post by NY-Desert »

Thank you both greenknight and vlani for helping me in trying to identify them. Due to the plants location I'm leaning towards vlani's call of 'Escobaria vivipara' because of its Az origin, it came right from inside Morenci's copper mine. I think it's morphing into clusters is the result of excess moisture in its new home in NY. :o

The second column cactus, I was thinking Organ Pipe, but I have another Organ Pipe and it looks nothing like it. I am starting to lean towards 'Polaskia chichipe' for the column cactus.

The first photo below was last year at just over 2.5 inches a few months after I bought him, the second is a small Polaskia chichipe....very similar ?.....hmmm ](*,)
August 2015 just over 2.5 inches
August 2015 just over 2.5 inches
Fresh.jpg (40.79 KiB) Viewed 768 times
Polaskia chichipe
Another Polaskia chichipe, notice the grey v markings..
Another Polaskia chichipe, notice the grey v markings..
Polaskia-chichipe--2-.JPG (83.4 KiB) Viewed 768 times
Whaddya think?
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Of course the first one is Escobaria vivipara, don't know how I massed it! :dontknow:

As for the second, the gray bands aren't as strong as you usually see in Polaskia chichipe - but maybe.
Spence :mrgreen:
NY-Desert

Post by NY-Desert »

That is true but the gray banding is there. When it was little they were much more pronounced. I have seen much darker banding in desert raised plants. I also allowed it to go dormant in the winter here in NY, it's in a dark room with just a sip every couple months. All i know is I'm buying more polaskia because this thing grows like mad here. 3 times as fast as my Echinopsis pachanoi. Just since this posting it's even gotten fatter!

Thanks for the feedback !