Peanut cactus??

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
elodiem
Location: Burgundy, France - close to Dijon, Beaune, Nuits St Georges, the Jura. By the river Saône.

Peanut cactus??

Post by elodiem »

I am at a loss to identify this cactus my mother gave me at the week-end. It seems it has been tampered with a lot, to make it look like a starfish (???). It has very soft spines, it's surprising, you can touch it, and it doesn't stick any thorns into your finger. It looks like five "tentacles" were grafted onto another sort of cactus, with harder spines. The centre was hidden by some sort of flowers that had been stuck into it and I have removed them. My mother had had it for a couple of years, and the tentacles have grown a lot, so it looks it could go on like this, but if you have any advice on how to take care of it...I searched the web a bit, trying to identify it, and I found some photos that led me to different names, among which peanut cactus, but I'm not sure it's that at all! that's why I'm turning to you. Thanks for your help!
Attachments
the entire thing
the entire thing
IMG_5575.JPG (77.93 KiB) Viewed 2081 times
as soft as a brush
as soft as a brush
IMG_5576.JPG (40.29 KiB) Viewed 2081 times
the centre
the centre
IMG_5579.JPG (62.66 KiB) Viewed 2081 times
Kamos

Re: Peanut cactus??

Post by Kamos »

Cleistocactus winteri I think.
Neal
laiguanapatagonica

Post by laiguanapatagonica »

Yes is a Chamaecereus silvestrii for me, very soft spines .
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

Kamos wrote:Cleistocactus winteri I think.
I think so too. It needs more light.
The spines are longer, and the stems are thicker and longer than peanut cactus
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

The so-called peanut is now classed as Echinopsis chamaecereus. Mine definitely has spines. Your plant looks like a cleistocactus winterii (old name hildwinteri). It could use more sun & I personally don't like perfectly good plants that have been manipulated to look like something else. I wonder what would happen if you buried the graft? Would the stems grow their own roots? I have no experience with de-grafting. Another note: most winteri have gold spines, although I have one that looks like yours. If the "fur" was longer, I'd call it sub.species colademono. So called monkey's tail. Flowers would solve the wuestion. Good luck, Sue
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I don't think anybody would bother grafting the normal form of Chamaecereus, or using it as a stock. It looks like the ofsetts are coming out the areoles on the side of the stock, not grafted on it, so are the same species as the stock. Maybe it was originally used as a grafting stock but the graft failed and they eventually sold the ofsetting stock? Of course it could have simply been beheaded to produce a bushy plant, or was it simply the base left after the original stem was used as a cutting and re-rooted.

It certainly needs to be grown in better light than your mother had it in since it is obviously a bit etiolated.
elodiem
Location: Burgundy, France - close to Dijon, Beaune, Nuits St Georges, the Jura. By the river Saône.

Post by elodiem »

Thank you very much for the ID, and also the advice. It is now in a south-facing conservatory, and so should get a lot more light than in my mother's kitchen! I'll wait a bit to see how it gets over the repotting, and perhaps I'll do what was suggested and bury the graft later. If it ever flowers, I'll keep you informed to settle the question once and for all! Many thanks again!
wayoutwest302

Post by wayoutwest302 »

It's a beautiful monkey tail cactus, which only get partial sun. Full sun will burn it, be careful giving it to much.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I wouldn't bury the stump (it's not a graft) - that could cause rot. It will grow more branches and eventually conceal that. You could put it in a hanging planter, hang it at or above eye level and you won't see that stump.
Spence :mrgreen:
elodiem

Post by elodiem »

Thanks a lot, I'm going to follow your advice and leave it as it is, possibly move it to a more shaded place - though Burgundy is not California or Arizona as far as sunlight is concerned - And I cant' wait to see the flowers, if it ever blooms! They look spectacular!
teo

Post by teo »

See also this post: http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... us#p322343" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;