ID help?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
JadeL

ID help?

Post by JadeL »

DIMENSIONS: Roughly 5x5 cm

My best guess was an Echinocereus Barthelowanus, but this is my first cactus and I am unsure.

Any help would be appreciated! :D

Also, how often should I water it? I have been told different things by different people :?

(sorry the images are flipped somehow, I don't know how to solve that as my files aren't orientated that way, to begin with)
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (32.71 KiB) Viewed 1304 times
IMG_0921.JPG
IMG_0921.JPG (52.67 KiB) Viewed 1304 times
IMG_0922.JPG
IMG_0922.JPG (50.35 KiB) Viewed 1304 times
vlani

Re: ID help?

Post by vlani »

Mammillaria of some sort. How thichkis the stem?
mdpillet

Post by mdpillet »

Looks like a bloated Mammillaria elongata to me.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Not an Echinocereus, since it doesn't have ribs. The spine clusters are on bumps (tubercles) that are not on ribs, which marks it as a Mammillaria or related genus, like Cochemia, Coryphantha, Escobaria... that's all I can think of offhand, I think I missed 1 or 2.

You can't water on a schedule, water when the soil is dry which varies with the conditions. When in doubt, don't water, it'd better to under-water than over-water. In the winter, water much less. See - http://www.cactiguide.com/growcacti/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.cactus-art.biz/note-book/Dic ... r_rest.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spence :mrgreen:
CactusMad

Post by CactusMad »

I also think it is Mammillaria elongata.Where do you keep it? Is it on a window ledge? Also where in the world are you ?

:)
JadeL

Post by JadeL »

vlani wrote:Mammillaria of some sort. How thichkis the stem?
The stem is around 3cm thick.
JadeL

Post by JadeL »

CactusMad wrote:I also think it is Mammillaria elongata.Where do you keep it? Is it on a window ledge? Also where in the world are you ?

:)
I'm in the UK. I keep it on my windowsill at the moment ^.^
JadeL

Post by JadeL »

greenknight wrote:Not an Echinocereus, since it doesn't have ribs. The spine clusters are on bumps (tubercles) that are not on ribs, which marks it as a Mammillaria or related genus, like Cochemia, Coryphantha, Escobaria... that's all I can think of offhand, I think I missed 1 or 2.

You can't water on a schedule, water when the soil is dry which varies with the conditions. When in doubt, don't water, it'd better to under-water than over-water. In the winter, water much less. See - http://www.cactiguide.com/growcacti/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.cactus-art.biz/note-book/Dic ... r_rest.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ah, I see! Very helpful. I may get more familiar with these plants, as I'm in college taking Biology at the moment, but we haven't covered xerophytes in detail yet.
JadeL

Post by JadeL »

mdpillet wrote:Looks like a bloated Mammillaria elongata to me.
What exactly does bloated mean in relation to a cactus?
CactusMad

Post by CactusMad »

Is it a south facing window?
JadeL

Post by JadeL »

CactusMad wrote:Is it a south facing window?
I think it is roughly North-East facing.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

JadeL wrote:
On Mamm. elongata, the radial spines normally overlap so much that the epidermis of the cactus is barely visible. Here's a page that shows a number of different-colored strains (also growing instructions) - http://www.mammillarias.net/gallery/mam ... gata&lg=uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yours is abnormally plumped-up, likely due to barely-adequate light and perhaps a bit too-generous watering. The species tolerates light shade, but a cactus in lower light uses less water. If you don't have a window with better light, at least put it close to the glass - even a little bit of distance makes a big difference - and let it get very dry between waterings. When you do water, always water thoroughly, until water comes out the drain hole - but never leave the pot sitting in water.

A cactus that's really suffering from low light will put out thin, elongated growth, looks terrible. The only way to fix that is to prune off the etiolated growth. Yours is nowhere near that point, though.
JadeL

Post by JadeL »

greenknight wrote:
JadeL wrote:
On Mamm. elongata, the radial spines normally overlap so much that the epidermis of the cactus is barely visible. Here's a page that shows a number of different-colored strains (also growing instructions) - http://www.mammillarias.net/gallery/mam ... gata&lg=uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yours is abnormally plumped-up, likely due to barely-adequate light and perhaps a bit too-generous watering. The species tolerates light shade, but a cactus in lower light uses less water. If you don't have a window with better light, at least put it close to the glass - even a little bit of distance makes a big difference - and let it get very dry between waterings. When you do water, always water thoroughly, until water comes out the drain hole - but never leave the pot sitting in water.

A cactus that's really suffering from low light will put out thin, elongated growth, looks terrible. The only way to fix that is to prune off the etiolated growth. Yours is nowhere near that point, though.
I see. My window isn't that good, but the best I've got is a south-west facing window. However, that's the cat's favourite spot! I may try downstairs. Do you think that S-W is adequate?
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

SW would be good, gets afternoon sun (no doubt why the cat likes it). There's a risk of sunburn until it gets used to direct sun, you need to gradually acclimatize it.
JadeL

Post by JadeL »

greenknight wrote:SW would be good, gets afternoon sun (no doubt why the cat likes it). There's a risk of sunburn until it gets used to direct sun, you need to gradually acclimatize it.
Ah okay, so how long during the day should I expose my Cacti to the sun to prevent that from happening?

Sorry for all of the questions, I want it to thrive as much as possible :)