Gymnocalycium mihanovichii friedrichii, flowers or fruit?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
rtb1980

Gymnocalycium mihanovichii friedrichii, flowers or fruit?

Post by rtb1980 »

Hello,

I bought this Gymnocalycium mihanovichii friedrichii on eBay and recieved it just over a week ago. It has started developing these pink flowers or berries, I'm not sure if it flowered before I got it or if it's getting ready to flower now?

Thanks!
Attachments
20160701_191325.jpg
20160701_191325.jpg (61.55 KiB) Viewed 2776 times
20160701_191407.jpg
20160701_191407.jpg (43.18 KiB) Viewed 2776 times
:arrow: Cactus Videos - Please Subscribe :)
DaveW

Re: Gymnocalycium mihanovichii friedrichii, flowers or fruit

Post by DaveW »

They are buds. There would be the dead remains of the flower still on the plant if it was forming a fruit, as in the link below. Plants can't fruit unless they flower, so the dried up dead flower is usually still attached to the fruit at first.

http://garden.org/plants/photo/354786/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
iann

Post by iann »

Buds. Fruit start out at a good size as the base of a flower, then get even bigger if they were pollinated.
--ian
rtb1980

Post by rtb1980 »

DaveW wrote:They are buds. There would be the dead remains of the flower still on the plant if it was forming a fruit, as in the link below. Plants can't fruit unless they flower, so the dried up dead flower is usually still attached to the fruit at first.

http://garden.org/plants/photo/354786/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I know it needs to flower first, I just didn't know if maybe the flower fell off when being packed or something. I'm new to cacti and I have a Epithelantha micromeris that seems to have produced a berry from nothing, but that too was recently shipped to me.

Thanks !

Ohh, btw, does anyone have any idea why my photos post sideways? They are correct on my tablet.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Epithelantha is one of those genera where the tiny flower remains do fall off before the fruit elongates the next year. Many cacti however retain withered flower remains on the top of the fruit.

http://www.examiner.com/article/harvest ... rel-cactus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/MAMMIL ... llanii.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

viewtopic.php?t=9931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
iann

Post by iann »

Cactus flowers are borne on a short stem and the ovary is strongly inferior. This means that the fruit is entirely below the petals that you generally think of as a flower, but generally some way out from the body of the plant. Those scales that are so characteristic of Gymnocalycium "flowers" are modified leaves on a determinate stem. That stem will remain after flowering. It will fatten up and eventually split if it has been pollinated, or dry up and drop off after a few weeks.

The stems on some other species are even more prominent. Echinocereus is a good example, with great big spiny stems. On other species the determinate stems are tiny, or even embedded within the body. Mammillarias are particularly good at hiding the flower stems buried between the tubercles. Epithelanths have more traditional areoles on the end of the tubercles but they are so minute and buried under wool and spines that you'll need a good magnifier to spot them.

Technically most cactus (not some Pereskias) fruit are false berries. Berries because they are just simple fruit, not compound, and false because they are formed partially from the flower stem. This is obvious in cases like Gymnocalycium or Eriosyce where the fruit is covered in scales or hairs, less obvious in Mammillaria or Epithelantha.
--ian
iann

Post by iann »

Ohh, btw, does anyone have any idea why my photos post sideways? They are correct on my tablet.
They are sideways on your tablet. Except that the tablet recognises the orientation information from the camera and will usually flip them to look upright to you. Most imaging software, including this forum, will not flip images around so you need to get it straight before you upload them. I don't know what software you are using to crop/resize/etc your image, but it should have settings to show you the image as it actually is.
--ian
rtb1980

Post by rtb1980 »

iann wrote:
They are sideways on your tablet. Except that the tablet recognises the orientation information from the camera and will usually flip them to look upright to you. Most imaging software, including this forum, will not flip images around so you need to get it straight before you upload them. I don't know what software you are using to crop/resize/etc your image, but it should have settings to show you the image as it actually is.
Thank you! I'll try turning off the auto-rotate, that might be doing it. When I took the photo it was in portrait, (tablet top up, bottom down), and I didn't edit. If turning off the auto-rotate doesn't work I'll try holding the tablet upside down, or something.. lol I'll get this working! ;)

Thanks!!
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Afraid I have never used a smartphone or tablet camera, so Ian's answer is probably correct. I always use a DSLR and post processing software, but see if these help:-

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/digita ... ctures.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is for a smartphone, but it seems to be a case with tablets and smartphones you need to always take them the same way for direct web posting, without changing the phones orientation for landscape or portrait and then either crop them to the aspect ratio you want in post processing, or if you have to rotate your phone/tablet image, use third party post processing software to rotate them before posting. Plenty of free post processing software available on the web.

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/why-does-my- ... wn-photos/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also make sure your image does not exceed the permissible pixel and file sizes allowable on the web site since most images straight out of cameras are overlarge these days and it may post sideways if too many pixels high, or not post at all. Modern cameras, be they DSLR's. Smartphones or Tablets are usually overkill for web sites regarding file and pixel sizes straight out of the camera and need some manipulation.
rtb1980

Post by rtb1980 »

I keep trying and I can't get them to come out correctly.

I'm not rotating the tablet or editing the photos. And it seems to happen regardless of if I select a photo from the images folder or take it as needed for the post.

It might be the image size I guess. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro. Maybe I'll try editing it, then select the edited photo.
Last edited by rtb1980 on Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rtb1980

Post by rtb1980 »

I got it to work! I have to open the pic, crop, save, then it works! Bummer that I have to edit them, but at least they won't be sideways anymore! Win!
Attachments
2016-07-05 17.14.17.jpg
2016-07-05 17.14.17.jpg (54.54 KiB) Viewed 2669 times
Pamela

Post by Pamela »

É planta de natureza moi ben. Fai un bo traballo na corte da foto da natureza.
rtb1980

Post by rtb1980 »

It finally flowered! And actually has a couple more coming I think. Here is a pic from 8/4/16.
Attachments
gymno_080416a.jpg
gymno_080416a.jpg (44.98 KiB) Viewed 2490 times
BrandonH

Post by BrandonH »

beautiful looking flower thanks for posting the flowers!
Brandon
rtb1980

Re: Gymnocalycium mihanovichii friedrichii, flowers or fruit?

Post by rtb1980 »

My gymno.. has started flowering again! 2 years now, woohoo!

It's looking a little red though, could it be getting too much sun? I have it near the same spot as last year, but not exact.