Red Flowers, Green Nodules, Fuzzy Brown Spikes

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Dawn

Red Flowers, Green Nodules, Fuzzy Brown Spikes

Post by Dawn »

Can anyone please tell me what type of cactus this is? I'm trying to figure out how big it will get & what size pot I'll need. Thanks! :)
20160604_185515_resized.jpg
20160604_185515_resized.jpg (35.03 KiB) Viewed 872 times
20160604_185552_resized.jpg
20160604_185552_resized.jpg (46.24 KiB) Viewed 872 times
Vipassana

Re: Red Flowers, Green Nodules, Fuzzy Brown Spikes

Post by Vipassana »

Unfortunately, those flowers are probably fake straw flowers hot glued on at the nursery to make the cactus more appealing at the store. I would recommend carefully removing them. It looks like a very nice and healthy plant otherwise, though I'd consider reporting it will better cactus soil; often Altman and other growers use organically rich, peat moss based soil which can cause root rot issues.

As far as what type of cactus that is, I'm not entirely sure. Perhaps a Cereus peruvianus monstrose.
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Thanks for the quick response! You're right about the flowers. I just pulled them off with tweezers and saw the glue. Ugh, what a tricky practice! I will re-pot it with more appropriate soil. And if you're right about the species, one site says it can get up to 15 feet tall and has large night-blooming white flowers and edible fruit...VERY COOL!!! That makes up for the fake red flowers. :) Thanks again!
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Not sure the monstrose form gets that tall Dawn.

http://www.tucson-gardener.com/graphics ... ested.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

There are a number of monstrose strains of this species - the more heavily-branched they are, the shorter they tend to stay. You have one of the very heavily branched ones.
Spence :mrgreen:
wayoutwest302

Post by wayoutwest302 »

I believe it is a Cereus Forbesii Monstrose also known as a "ming thing". Beautiful cactus, they dont get very big.
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

I thank you all for your responses! Whatever she is (she has become a she in my mind), I have become attached to her and will re-soil her and see what she grows into!