An old copiapoa

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Gypscoprotheres

An old copiapoa

Post by Gypscoprotheres »

Hi all!

I've bought this plant last saturday and I know that it's a Copiapoa, but not which.

Any idea?
Aiko

Re: An old copiapoa

Post by Aiko »

Looks like Copiapoa hypogaea.
Gypscoprotheres

I was actually looking for C. hypogaea var. 'lizard skin' and couldn't find it. But after all I came kind of close I see! :D
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Copiapoa hypogaea 'Lizard Skin' is distinguished by the granular texture of it's epidermis, supposedly resembling that of a lizard. The normal form has a smoother epidermis.

http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACT ... izard_Skin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACT ... rquitensis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is listed as a cultivar, though it did not arise in cultivation, or was a selected clone since I understand 'Lizard Skin' is found in habitat, but considered only natural variation and therefore not worth distinguishing botanically.
Gypscoprotheres

Thank you for the information. I would love to obtain a lizard skin, but they seem quite rare.
I've already find a nursery that sells seeds, but it'll take ages for them to grow. I'll buy some anyway. ;)
Gypscoprotheres

Just to be sure that I don't put the wrong ID on this plant. Can it be a Copiapoa tenuissima?
iann

Post by iann »

Gypscoprotheres wrote:Just to be sure that I don't put the wrong ID on this plant. Can it be a Copiapoa tenuissima?
It might be a monstrose clone, usually called C. tenuissima although I'm not sure that is 100% guaranteed, because the regular species doesn't usually clump that strongly. The clones tend to be very very woolly though.

I find 'Lizard Skin' to be very slow. I have one that has been overtaken by C. hypogaea plants that are years younger. Or maybe I'm just treating it wrong.
--ian
Gypscoprotheres

Here's another photo of it, with flowers this time:

iann

Post by iann »

Almost spineless plants with smooth brown skin are often var barquitensis. They are very similar to 'Lizard Skin' but with smooth skin instead of wrinkled.
--ian
Gypscoprotheres

Thank you very much! I guess that's the right ID. The skin color matches, black spines, but mostly spineless, solitary, but clumping over the years.

One day I'll have the lizard skin... Never seen them on cactus shows here in the Netherlands, but I'm sure they'll show up one day.