Lithop, Succulent, Cactus seedlings, or something else?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
keithp2012

Lithop, Succulent, Cactus seedlings, or something else?

Post by keithp2012 »

I got a packet of seeds from Ebay labeled Lithop seeds. I planted them in a covered container in cactus soil after ive been storing them dry a year in my fridge, and within 3 days they germinated! They seemed to do poorly covered and better with no cover, which makes me wonder if they are even a cacti or succulent as the seedlings need high moisture. The seeds are tiny, brown, with papery sides. And clue to i.d.?
Attachments
IMG_0535.JPG
IMG_0535.JPG (174.64 KiB) Viewed 682 times
IMG_0516.JPG
IMG_0516.JPG (103.85 KiB) Viewed 682 times
vlani

Re: Lithop, Succulent, Cactus seedlings, or something else?

Post by vlani »

Some Opuntia. Lithops seed are tiny
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Looks a bit like Asclepiad seeds, probably a Huernia or Stapelia of some sort.

Opuntia seeds will not germinate in three days. And I bet they are never flat like these seeds.
Lithops seeds should be the size of very small sand particles, and a brown-yellow colour.

You would not be the first one to be taken on Ebay for Lithops seeds not being Lithops seeds. Unless you know what you are doing (buying from a trustworthy source), never buy seeds on Ebay. You not only get taken, but you also pay much more than any conventional seed distributor will charge you. Look for the 'Updated seed list' thread to find links to many international seed distributors (like Mesa Garden in the US). At least they will sell you want you request, as they largely are depending on credibility.
keithp2012

Post by keithp2012 »

Aiko wrote:Looks a bit like Asclepiad seeds, probably a Huernia or Stapelia of some sort.

Opuntia seeds will not germinate in three days. And I bet they are never flat like these seeds.
Lithops seeds should be the size of very small sand particles, and a brown-yellow colour.

You would not be the first one to be taken on Ebay for Lithops seeds not being Lithops seeds. Unless you know what you are doing (buying from a trustworthy source), never buy seeds on Ebay. You not only get taken, but you also pay much more than any conventional seed distributor will charge you. Look for the 'Updated seed list' thread to find links to many international seed distributors (like Mesa Garden in the US). At least they will sell you want you request, as they largely are depending on credibility.
They do resemble mini milkweed seeds but the size is not the same. If they are not milkweed but those starfish looking flowers, how should I be caring for the seedlings?
keithp2012

Post by keithp2012 »

Here is the true leaves now.
Attachments
DSC08726.JPG
DSC08726.JPG (33.72 KiB) Viewed 594 times
keithp2012

Post by keithp2012 »

One seedling is different, its smaller, has roundish heart shaped leaves that are hairy, and it came from a tiny, round, brown seed slightly smaller than a poppy seed, could it be an African Violet?
Attachments
DSC08753.JPG
DSC08753.JPG (101.75 KiB) Viewed 571 times
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Based on the plant I would think it is a Pelargonium. But I don't think the description of the seeds match Pelargonium seeds.