A couple new plants from HP

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
BrandonH

A couple new plants from HP

Post by BrandonH »

Hello I was at HP and decided to get a couple new plants.
They are labeled and i just wanted to make sure they are the correct names for them
the first is labeled as Consolea falcata

the 2nd is called opuntia rufida minima monstrose

Also my sister who lives in CA has had this plant for several years now but had no tag when she bought it( big green spiky one)

Thanks alot !
Brandon
Aiko

Re: A couple new plants from HP

Post by Aiko »

A bit sloppy glue job on the first plant!

The last plant is also an Opuntia. Don't know which one (anymore), though.
Kamos

Post by Kamos »

The last one is Austrocylindropuntia subulata monstrose.
Neal
Saguaro123

Post by Saguaro123 »

Looks like these plants were grown by Altman, a major wholesaler that supplies the big box stores.

The first one could be Consolea falcata, as it's listed in their plant library. Yours does kinda resemble the plant on Daves Garden:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/98655/

However, it could also be "Opuntia argentiniana," which isn't a valid name, but probably a dwarf form of Brasiliopuntia brasilensis.
http://cactusshop.com/library/ImagePopup.aspx?id=347

I think the second one is labeled correctly, and I also agree that the last plant is Austrocylindropuntia subulata monstrose
cjmach1973

Post by cjmach1973 »

I hate how they glue the strawflowers on, a lot of times it damages the plants....at least the spines
BrandonH

Post by BrandonH »

Thanks everyone for the names and the links very cool! glad to get some names on these species the cinnamon one says dwarf right on it. However the tree cactus does not so i don't know if it is but i would think that it would be as well.

Yes these are Altman plants how could you tell? was it the carrying strap on the pots? I didn't even notice the company name till i saw your post and had to go check the pot out to see if it was.

Yes who ever glued that flower on the first one should be fired that was a terrible job. I also think it is pretty annoying that they glue them on there to trick ppl into buying them but i don't see that stopping anytime soon
Brandon
Saguaro123

Post by Saguaro123 »

BrandonH wrote: Yes these are Altman plants how could you tell? was it the carrying strap on the pots? I didn't even notice the company name till i saw your post and had to go check the pot out to see if it was.
You're right on! It's the strap and black plastic pots. The glued on flowers were also clues. ;)

Altman has a reputation for mislabeling the plants they sell, so that was why I thought your C. falcata could also be a dwarf B. brasilensis. However, time will eventually tell what it truly is.

Enjoy growing your new acquisitions!

Byron
BrandonH

Post by BrandonH »

Saguaro123 wrote:
BrandonH wrote: Yes these are Altman plants how could you tell? was it the carrying strap on the pots? I didn't even notice the company name till i saw your post and had to go check the pot out to see if it was.
You're right on! It's the strap and black plastic pots. The glued on flowers were also clues. ;)

Altman has a reputation for mislabeling the plants they sell, so that was why I thought your C. falcata could also be a dwarf B. brasilensis. However, time will eventually tell what it truly is.

Enjoy growing your new acquisitions!

Byron
lol believe or not this is the first time i seen them before. Now i know i don't get to hp all that much but the other cacti they would get in would be in small orange pots.
They must have changed to Altman in recent times here at this store.

Indeed in time we will know for sure! At least it's narrowed down to two species that it could be.
When a flower pops out we will just have to revisit this plant :)
Brandon
Saguaro123

Post by Saguaro123 »

I recently found the same plant, erroneously labeled as Opuntia monacantha 'Joseph's Coat' at a local Home Depot the other day. It seems like Altman released a few of these recently.
IMG_4597.JPG
IMG_4597.JPG (44.69 KiB) Viewed 2897 times
I'm starting to lean towards Consolea falcata for the ID because the elongated shape of the pads is a characteristic of Consolea. Also, there was a larger one for sale labeled C. falcata. What else could it be if it doesn't look like C. rubescens and is from a Big Box Store?

Here's "O. argentiniana" from another nursery. It doesn't look like the plant in question, and the pads are flimsier.
IMG_4595.JPG
IMG_4595.JPG (61.53 KiB) Viewed 2897 times
teo

Post by teo »

Last one looks like a Brasilopuntia brasiliensis to me.
BrandonH

Post by BrandonH »

Thanks for the update! the first one does look just like mine! mine has grown alot since this thread started i will post new pics tomorrow. Mine has yet to flower though. so hopefully one of us can get a flower.
Brandon
BrandonH

Post by BrandonH »

here are the pics!

still look like a Consolea falcata?
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (69.61 KiB) Viewed 2694 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (68.21 KiB) Viewed 2694 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (80 KiB) Viewed 2694 times
Brandon
Saguaro123

Post by Saguaro123 »

Wow! Yours has grown a lot, and so as mine, pictured below.
IMG_5231.JPG
IMG_5231.JPG (135.84 KiB) Viewed 2531 times
I guess it's safe to call it Consolea falcata
BrandonH

Post by BrandonH »

Yes they seem to love the direct sunlight and tolarent of damp soil as long as it is sunny. Only time I move mine is when it rains for several days straight and of course for winter.

Edit : Is there a reason why yours has bigger and more sounds then mine ?
Brandon
Saguaro123

Post by Saguaro123 »

BrandonH wrote:Edit : Is there a reason why yours has bigger and more sounds then mine ?
IDK, there could be a number of reasons. The mix it's in contains some time release fertilizer and was under direct sunlight for 8+ hours during the growing season. Also, yours is sharing a pot with another cactus, so maybe there's more competition for resources?