Cristate mutation identification help!!

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
ebraze

Cristate mutation identification help!!

Post by ebraze »

I found a cactus with some type of cristate mutation but I don't know which species it is!! Any help would be greatly appreciated !!!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (54.21 KiB) Viewed 1702 times
teo

Re: Cristate mutation identification help!!

Post by teo »

Probably a monstrose Cereus peruvianus
jmoney

Post by jmoney »

Looks like a 'Ming Thing' to me. Cereus forbesii monstrose
Budding cactus enthusiast

Twitter: jmoneypn
Instagram: jmoneypn
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

i have two ... Cereus Forbesii monstrose ... one JUST like yours with VERY few spines
2015-12-05 002.jpg
2015-12-05 002.jpg (56.78 KiB) Viewed 1636 times
and one with considerably more spines
2015-12-05 001.jpg
2015-12-05 001.jpg (50.96 KiB) Viewed 1636 times
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
teo

Post by teo »

Have a look at Cereus jamacaru monstrose for the second one.
jmoney

Post by jmoney »

The first picture in WayneByerly's post is 'Ming Thing' Cereus forbesii monstrose.

The second picture is definitely something entirely different, Cereus jamacaru monstrose.

I happen to have both of those.

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Sometimes identifying mutants is difficult. Often the only way to be sure is if a stem reverts to natural growth.

Mammillaria 'Fred' was only identified as being a mutant Mammillaria bocasana when one produced a normal offset.

http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/MAMMIL ... istata.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3448/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Do crested and monstrose plants grow slower than normal ones?

Yes and no. Initially it appears that many crested species grow faster which is not surprising as there are many more growth points. But this increased rate of tissue production seems to have its limits, and when the plant tissues begin to become crowded, they often seem to cease growth, and often even form isolated spots of ‘defasciation' (reversion to normal growth), and several columns of normal plant material will erupt from this stalled crest formation. Most growers of prized crested plants will quickly remove these areas of reversion so the plant will concentrate its efforts on keeping the crested tissues happy and alive (and cool looking)."

As the quote from the above link says there are differences of opinion as to what to do with reversions. Monstrose growth (cristates or monstrose) usually grow slower than normal growth, therefore some recommend removing any reversions since they grow at the expense of the monstrose part. However I have seen a few where both normal and monstrose growth seem to exist quite happily together.
jmoney

Post by jmoney »

Not to get too off topic here Dave but can the normal growth that are removed be planted as a regular cutting and be grown independently as a 'normal' plant?

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Usually yes. Of course with any cactus, it or any of it's shoots could go monstrose, or even produce sports which are different to the rest of the plant and even variegated, but the reversions seldom do go monstrose again as far as I'm aware. If you want to start a new sport. cristate or monstrose plant you have to take a cutting of the sport or monstrose part.

In many plants sports are often how different garden flower colours arise which are then removed and bred for that feature:-

http://www.gardenseeker.com/roses/rose-plant-sports.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=259" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reversions:-

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=273" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by DaveW on Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmoney

Post by jmoney »

DaveW wrote:Usually yes. Of course with any cactus, it or any of it's shoots could go monstrose, but the reversions seldom do go monstrose again as far as I'm aware. If you want to start a new cristate or monstrose plant you have to take a cutting of the monstrose part.
Thanks! Very helpful information!