Help with Identification

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Jennyv

Help with Identification

Post by Jennyv »

Hello

This is a cactus my father has had and it's just flowered after 30 years. It has a massive flower creamy yellow in color and each flower only blooms once, during the day only. It's flower is similar to a Epiphyllum Oxypetalum, which is the Queen of the Night, but that one blooms at night only and each flower last for only one night. I'm guessing it's some form of Cereus, but which one?
Attachments
IMG_1429.JPG
IMG_1429.JPG (53.08 KiB) Viewed 727 times
IMG_1430.JPG
IMG_1430.JPG (61.94 KiB) Viewed 727 times
teo

Re: Help with Identification

Post by teo »

The original 'Queen of the night' is Selenicereus grandiflorus (I think). This is not quite it but probably a hybrid of it.
phil_SK

Post by phil_SK »

The bumps on the stems make me think of Selenicereus hamatus (hamatus = hooked or crooked).
teo

Post by teo »

That looks like a more probable match than grandiflorus (which seems to have many more bud cover leaves)
Jennyv

Post by Jennyv »

Thank you for your information much appreciated.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Yes it's not Selenicereus grandiflorus from the stems, though a lot of clones now dumped into S. grandiflorus don't have the very large flower of the original, 35cm (13.78 inches) across in the following link. However as with all plants flower size can depend on the vigour of the plant and how many flowers it is carrying, since multiple flowers are often smaller than a plant just carrying one individual flower:-

http://www.gardens.co.nz/PlantoftheWeek.cfm?NLID=138" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Queen of the Night" seems to be put on any largish white flowered night blooming species, but does really belong to S. grandiflorus".