Which Melocactus?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Dixie Chicken

Which Melocactus?

Post by Dixie Chicken »

I found this little treasure in a garden center in central Florida about 6 months ago and was excited to note it was starting a cephalium. I've been waiting for it to grow slightly bigger and flower so I might have a shot at nailing down a fairly accurate ID.

Basic description is: 13 ribs, broader at the base, fairly acute at the top, with areoles in notches and very slight horizontal indents. Spines 8-9, curved, possibly one central. Newer spines are brownish, turning yellow with age, although maintaining dark tips. The color is much more noticeable when the plant is wet, otherwise the spines are a pinkish grey. The cephalium is very wooly, with the wool being very white (although I guess that could be because it is a fairly young cephalium) and the red bristles do not poke out of the wool by very much. The flowers are very deep pink, and stand out from the cephalium for a noticeable amount. I have not yet seen any fruit, so I can't speak to that.

I tried to narrow the choices down to a small handful: M. glaucescens; M. smithii; M. violaceus; or M. zehntneri. None seemed a perfect match, although M. glaucescens seemed close.

Any help/guidance you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

May you never be spineless!

Carol
jmoney

Re: Which Melocactus?

Post by jmoney »

What garden center did you get it from? I live in Central FL as well and I'm always looking for new places to pick up some plants!
Budding cactus enthusiast

Twitter: jmoneypn
Instagram: jmoneypn
Dixie Chicken

Post by Dixie Chicken »

jmoney - I found it at Gungeon's in Tampa. It looked like it had been there for some time, moss on the top of the soil around the plant! Good luck in your searches!

Carol
May you never be spineless!

Carol
eduart

Post by eduart »

Hi Carol,

I also think it is Melocactus glaucescens.

Cheers,
Eduart
jp29

Post by jp29 »

I think it is Melocactus conncinus

James
James
My cactus cultivation pages:
https://jp29.org/cactuscult.htm Image
Dixie Chicken