Is this Peruvian Torch?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
CactiGuyy

Is this Peruvian Torch?

Post by CactiGuyy »

So back in 2009 I stumbled upon a nest of these in a local hiking spot growing out of the base of an oak tree. My buddy and I managed to bring back quite a bunch of cuttings, which I stupidly left to dry out for too long and lost to rot. My recent interest and growing passion for cultivating cacti and succulents reminded me of this, so I've been considering going back to see if they are still growing there.

My question is, despite the low quality of the pictures, are these Peruvian Torch, or some related sub-species? I've likely outgrown the time at which I would cultivate these for recreational purposes, but the appeal of growing something with psychoactive properties does appeal to me. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Can't seem to post images, but here is a link..

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6lig2d5zs5ml ... 2Jy4a?dl=0
Last edited by CactiGuyy on Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
esp_imaging

Re: Is this Peruvian Torch?

Post by esp_imaging »

Your photos aren't visible. If you are linking to photos online, they need to be somewhere public where they can be viewed by everyone.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
MartP

Post by MartP »

Like photbucket or prnt.sc
CactiGuyy

Post by CactiGuyy »

New link posted, should be available to all now.
george76904

Post by george76904 »

Well seeing that you have cut them up into unrootable pieces it appears that you believe that these cactus are "San Pedro" and you are trying a mescaline extraction by drying them. I do not condone this, nor do I condone the wild harvest of them.
jmoney

Post by jmoney »

Yeah...doesn't look like you are trying to grow them or else they would be cut in a very different manner....
Budding cactus enthusiast

Twitter: jmoneypn
Instagram: jmoneypn
george76904

Post by george76904 »

I mean you even mention relishing the thought of growing psychoactive cacti. You say you've "likely" outgrown the point where you would cultivate them for recreational purposes, but the images you posted speak otherwise... Sorry if I am misjudging but I am calling it like I see it.
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

My thoughts (since you said any thoughts woudl be appreciated):
It may well be Thricho. peruvianus or a related hybrid or species.
If you want to experiment with it's possible pyschoactive properties, that's your call.
I assume that you don't live in the Peruvian Andes, or wherever the plant is native? Hence the issue of wild harvest is irrelevant?
If you aren't in the native location it's a plant originating from something that has been cultivated. However, there may be an issue of getting landowner's consent. Of course, you may be doing the local environment a favour if a non-native species is starting to get established.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti