Have a look at my old cactus and help me!

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
synthetic

Have a look at my old cactus and help me!

Post by synthetic »

Hello there!

This cactus has been with me for around ten years and is about 20 years old in total. It is of great sentimental value to me. I am looking to try to take care of this plant and so would like to know what type of cactus it is. I would also like to know whether or not people think I should repot it. As you can see, this ornamental container doesn't seem to be ideal. The gravel and soil mix has also gone green! God knows why - it happened this summer. Also this bulbous growth on top is very new. After little or no visible growth for many years, this summer has seen this grow on top. Is this normal? Interestingly I moved house last year - could this have precipitated these changes?

ps I think his brown friend is dead - and has been dead for as long as I have known him!

Thank you in advance for any help!
2015-09-11 08.26.33.jpg
2015-09-11 08.26.33.jpg (30.9 KiB) Viewed 482 times
Attachments
2015-09-11 08.26.41.jpg
2015-09-11 08.26.41.jpg (31.81 KiB) Viewed 482 times
iann

Re: Have a look at my old cactus and help me!

Post by iann »

The new growth is because the growing point on the old stem had died. You could describe it as normal, but it isn't ideal. The plant should continue to grow so don't worry about it. It does look just a little as if it needs more light. It wouldn't have been a problem before because it wasn't growing, but eventually it would lead to problems.

The soil went green because it is in a transparent pot. Light plus water equals green.

I'm guessing the container does not have a hole in the bottom. In many ways it is a miracle that the plant survived this long. Sitting in waterlogged soil for too long just once in all those years would have killed it. Repotting is a good idea. Search out the many threads on this board about soil, see if you can find some mix with ingredients you have access to. Use a smaller pot, just the size of the roots, and make sure it has a hole in the bottom. You can stand it inside a more decorative container if you want, but never let the inner pot stand in water. Also try to pot with the base of the plant closer to the top of the pot. Good ventilation will help to prevent various problems.
--ian
synthetic

Post by synthetic »

Thanks, Ian. Your advice is greatly appreciated. I will see what I can do this weekend regarding repotting. Is there a good time of the year to do it? Or is this weekend as good as any? Also, any idea what type of cactus it is?
george76904

Post by george76904 »

The best time of year to repot a cactus is whenever that particular cactus is in its own growing season. Some plants are winter growers others are summer, but the idea is that if they are actively growing then they will re-establish themselves in the new pot much quicker than if you plant them when they are not actively growing. I would say that this weekend would be fine seeing the new recent growth on the tip of your cactus. That means that it is actively growing and thus will be ok for a repot.