Opuntia aurea?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
widea

Opuntia aurea?

Post by widea »

Hi,

Can this be a Opuntia aurea?

Regards,

Cor
A. Dean Stock

Re: Opuntia aurea?

Post by A. Dean Stock »

Not O. aurea. That species is spineless or nearly so and has a different pad shape. To know what it is would require knowing where it is from and something about the flower and fruit at a minimum. Looks at first view like an O. fragilis hybrid but that is just a guess.
Albert Dean Stock,Ph.D.
widea

Post by widea »

A. Dean Stock wrote:Not O. aurea. That species is spineless or nearly so and has a different pad shape. To know what it is would require knowing where it is from and something about the flower and fruit at a minimum. Looks at first view like an O. fragilis hybrid but that is just a guess.
I'll wait until it has flowers to be sure, thank you!
vlani

Post by vlani »

That is Tunilla.
Pilif

Post by Pilif »

vlani wrote:That is Tunilla.
My thought as well
Filip
A. Dean Stock

Post by A. Dean Stock »

Mine as well !! I didn't look at the spines except to note that it certainly wasn't O. aurea.
Albert Dean Stock,Ph.D.
widea

Post by widea »

Yes it must be Tunilla, thank you!
I noticed the spines have a red hue, T. miniscula does not have that, but T. orurensis has. Can it be the latter?
vlani

Post by vlani »

Tunillas are very hard to ID in culture - they look very different in nature, develop strong spines etc. Possibly they are all single species.

For the culture - use very wide flat pots. It is low crawling species, each cladode needs has to root for proper development and flowering.
widea

Post by widea »

vlani wrote:Tunillas are very hard to ID in culture - they look very different in nature, develop strong spines etc. Possibly they are all single species.
For the culture - use very wide flat pots. It is low crawling species, each cladode needs has to root for proper development and flowering.
Very interesting information, I did not know that. Next spring I will put it in a wider pot, following your advice, thanks.