Echinopsis...but which?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Dixie Chicken

Echinopsis...but which?

Post by Dixie Chicken »

I received this little plant as a teeny tiny seedling in April of 2013 and have been patiently waiting for it to grow big enough to flower so I might have a shot an identification. I'm pretty sure it is an Echinopsis, but can't seem to get any further than that. Can anyone help? Many thanks as always!

As a side question, would a shot of pH adjusted balanced fertilizer help this follow green up? Seems healthy, other than a bit washed out. He's in a 3.25" pot, just for reference.

Carol

Image Nov 2014

Image Nov 2014

Image June 2015

Image June 2015

Image July 2015
May you never be spineless!

Carol
phil_SK

Re: Echinopsis...but which?

Post by phil_SK »

That's Echinopsis calochlora. They're always a bit yellow for some reason. You could try the fertiliser and see what happens.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Meaning: From the Greek kallos (beauty) and chloros (green). The name is a reference to the green colour of the body as they usually seem to be a lighter or yellowish green than other Echinopsis:-

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/213287/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You could try a little of a higher nitrogen fertiliser if you think it is a little too chlorotic. Any fertiliser designed for normal plants should have enough nitrogen.
Dixie Chicken

Post by Dixie Chicken »

Thank you phil_SK and DaveW, I really appreciate the guidance. Nice to be able to put a name to another unknown in the collection!
May you never be spineless!

Carol