Me again hi all..my plant flowered so what's definitive id?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
MadridPeter

Me again hi all..my plant flowered so what's definitive id?

Post by MadridPeter »

Hi folks I put up pictures of this plant before but it now has flowers ..is it a pymaeocereus bylesianus for sure? Or familiaris..don't know the difference..maybe it hasn't grown the best having spent a lot of time in a garden centre corner with little light..flowers have a slight scent and room was almost filled with the scent one morning thanks to the 2 flowers you see
Attachments
Pic 1
Pic 1
image.jpg (34.76 KiB) Viewed 495 times
Pic 2
Pic 2
image.jpg (40.92 KiB) Viewed 495 times
DaveW

Re: Me again hi all..my plant flowered so what's definitive

Post by DaveW »

Pygmaocereus bylesianus or akersii, they are usually treated as synonymous, along with rowleyanus. P. familiaris is a lot rarer, so unlikely but not a lot different. Also the same plant often goes around under all the names since they have been so mixed up in cultivation.

Probably there are really only two distinct Pygmaeocerei, P bylesiana and P. bieblii:-

http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACT ... us_bieblii" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACT ... _kuehhasii" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
phil_SK

Post by phil_SK »

MadridPeter wrote:is it a pymaeocereus bylesianus for sure? Or familiaris
Yes.
MadridPeter

Post by MadridPeter »

Thanks very much Dave! I have to say it's a great little cactus and even better considering I thought it was something else entirely when I picked it up
MadridPeter

Post by MadridPeter »

Thanks for the input Phil ..got plenty of just about to flower cacti at the moment although the parodia scopa I have is taking ages to flower ..buds getting bigger and in one a yellow colour can be seen..