echinopsis oxygona var??

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
MadridPeter

Re: echinopsis oxygona var??

Post by MadridPeter »

Thanks Greenknight i had no idea about that pollination fact ..I have 3 rebutias that are always together and it is the largest one that has 2 or three swellings as I mentioned...thanks Dave ..I have a parodia scopa ex notocactus and it too keeps flower husks for ages ..great plant that's very attractive with or without flowers
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

DaveW wrote:The worst ones for me for flowers not easily detaching from the plants are Notocactus which seem to remain firmly attached for years, then snipping off most of the flower may be the answer. Most cactus dead flowers seem to be easily detachable after a year or so I find. Probably dead flowers are no problem in the dry climate of habitat but do tend to go mouldy in the damp winters of the UK and can sometimes rot the plant in winter.
I had exactly that happen with a large Notocactus schlosseri (syn Parodia erubescens). Usually, in this climate, the flowers are so thoroughly dried by the time the fall rains arrive that there's no problem. One year the rains came early, and were unusually persistent - the thick mass of withered blossoms on this plant molded. By the time I noticed, the rot had spread well into the body of the cactus. I had already propagated it, fortunately.
Spence :mrgreen:
MadridPeter

Post by MadridPeter »

Shaheer your plant may not be oxygona but ir could be ferocactus haematacanthus
gehcole

Post by gehcole »

Echinopsis.JPG
Echinopsis.JPG (73.11 KiB) Viewed 691 times
Echinopsis oxygonaIMG_0733 (Mobile).JPG
Echinopsis oxygonaIMG_0733 (Mobile).JPG (41.83 KiB) Viewed 691 times
If it is of any help, these were my E. oxygona flowering in november 2014, now they are ready to flower again.
ShaheerNiazi

Post by ShaheerNiazi »

ferocactus haematacanthus?? how can you say??
MadridPeter

Post by MadridPeter »

Well go to the cactus genus list of this site or put the name in Google and check images from the search and you'll see that it looks like your plant..growth and flowers will reveal more about your plant