ID possibly Echinopsis Stoleniferus Tayopensis

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Aardvark82

ID possibly Echinopsis Stoleniferus Tayopensis

Post by Aardvark82 »

This gives a good idea of shape
IMG_0073.jpg (86.11 KiB) Viewed 716 times
IMG_0073.jpg (86.11 KiB) Viewed 716 times
[img][img][/img][/img]I inherited a cactus when my late Mother died. I never took much notice when
she was alive and could have answered any questions. Not long after she died
I did a lot of research in various sites, based on hours of looking at photos.

I found a site, I seem to think it might have been Kew which asked a lot of questions
in what I considered to be the right way. It asked things like; what shape, did it have the ridges,
if so how many (13), did it have spines projecting from the aureoles, how many (9 - 11), what colour are they (red),
height (6 and half inches above the pot and 2” inside) etc.
The only thing I did not then know was the colour of the flowers, which I now know to be yellow?

I had already found a photo of a cactus which fitted the bill in every way, the complete name of which
I can no longer remember, but the third part of the name was something like ‘klingleriana’, but this
did not appear in many sites. The other closest looking cactus was one of the Echinopsis variants
but not the klingleriana (which I just found while trying to find the name Echinopsis). This looks globose
whereas I would say mine is more globular pyramid (ish).

The one I found, which looked perfect fell down when it was described as having a maximum height of 5
and a half inches, while mine is 8 and a half inches. It is over 40 years old.

See photos. They were taken from above and do not look quite the right shape. Unfortunately, some of the
spine sets got knocked off during the removals.

My Mother went to see my late aunt who lived in Phoenix, Arizona in 1969 and I think she brought some seed back and grew it. Her house was always about 90 degrees F summer and winter
Attachments
IMG_0075.jpg
IMG_0075.jpg (86.11 KiB) Viewed 716 times
IMG_0071.jpg
IMG_0071.jpg (70.49 KiB) Viewed 716 times
DaveW

Re: ID possibly Echinopsis Stoleniferus Tayopensis

Post by DaveW »

Looks like a Ferocactus to me? I will leave the Ferocactus lovers to name it.

E. stoloniferous or tayopensis is an Echinocereus not an Echinopsis anyway and would have green stigma lobes.

http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/ECHINO ... pensis.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

E. klingeriana is an Echinopsis and not your plant
jfabiao

Post by jfabiao »

It resembles me Thelocactus (Hamatocactus) setispinus.
Z, in (mostly) sunny Lisbon.
http://jardineiroazelha.blogspot.pt/
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

There is a short-spined cultivar, Thelocactus setisetispinus f. brevispinus, I think that's what this is. The flowers usually have a red throat, but exceptions are not unknown.
Spence :mrgreen:
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I don't think it is Thelocactus setispinus, or the form brevispinus since as you say flowers usually have a red throat and an 8 and a half inch tall plant is too large for T. setispinus and more within the realm of a Ferocactus:-

http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/HAMATO ... spinus.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks more like a poorly spined Ferocactus (Hamatocactus) hamatacanthus (syn. longihamatus) to me:-

http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACT ... atacanthus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;