Echinocereus reichenbachii?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Glochid

Echinocereus reichenbachii?

Post by Glochid »

These are about 2 years old if I am not mistaken. I ordered from an online seed store and purchased 5 types of Echinocereus but lost the labels along the way. I do know that only two varieties had any that survived and the other 3 varieties got eaten up by fungus. So I was hoping for verification and maybe a little help with some growths on a couple of the seedlings. Are these growths on top normal for these types of cactus? One has sprouted two pup like growths on top, another a patch of soft spines that looks like white fur and a third stretched out and looks etiolated. I have nearly 90 cacti at this point and all but one were grown from seed and I have never had any issues before these. The only other variety that I sowed that actually survived also has a globular cluster growing on top so I thought maybe it was normal for Echinocereus.

Thanks
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (192.84 KiB) Viewed 829 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (184.81 KiB) Viewed 829 times
tumamoc

Re: Echinocereus reichenbachii?

Post by tumamoc »

Those seedlings are consistent with Echinocereus reichenbachii. The strange growth suggests the tips have been damaged.
Glochid

Post by Glochid »

Thanks for the fast response. Now that you mention it, I remember a group of pigeons suddenly showing up on my back deck last year and were eating seed. Something spooked them and I saw one hop on top of my seedlings. I remember thinking that it was going to end up smashing them if he didn't get off. Will these be cacti that can be cut off later and rooted or likely grow into something gnarly looking?
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

With such a small seedling If you let the apical pups grow you will finish up with a two headed clump since the small original part will pretty well disappear down at the base in time as the offsets grow.
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

Leave them be. They will look good as they get older. Like Dave says, the base will pretty well disappear over time. The base will eventually cork (turn woody) and look nothing like it does now.
Glochid

Post by Glochid »

Thanks everyone for the help. I will leave them alone and let nature take its course.