3 unknown cacti...

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
gmoir_2

3 unknown cacti...

Post by gmoir_2 »

Hi,

Myself and my SO recently decided to buy some cacti as they would be more interesting than regular house plants. We went to the local garden centre and picked up the cacti in the photos attached. We are looking to identify these so we can determine the optimal way to look after them. We are unsure if the pots they are currently in are big enough for them.

We would appreciate any advice that anyone can give us regarding the identification of the cacti in the photos and the size of the pots.

Thanks for your help
Glen
Attachments
Cactus 1
Cactus 1
IMG-20150119-WA0001.jpg (27.9 KiB) Viewed 1373 times
Cactus 2
Cactus 2
IMG-20150119-WA0002.jpg (29.36 KiB) Viewed 1373 times
Cactus 3
Cactus 3
IMG-20150119-WA0000.jpg (21.72 KiB) Viewed 1373 times
Kamos

Re: 3 unknown cacti...

Post by Kamos »

#1 Ferocactus gracilis
#2 Euphorbia species, not a cactus
#3 Pilosocereus spc. ?
Neal
Onzuka

Post by Onzuka »

I can't do any better than Kamos with the I/Ds. The pot sizes are about right, but the potting mix (compost) is totally unsuitable for long term use. It's been formulated to give the commercial grower a saleable plant in the shortest time possible. There have been volumes written on here about more suitable mixes. The search function, or some kind person, will find them for you.

Steve
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

The Ferocactus is really too young for a definite ID - Ferocactus pilosus or gracilus, they look about the same at this age. In either case, needs full sun or the equivalent in artificial light to maintain its attractive color. The others need pretty good light, too

#2 is Euphorbia enopla.

#3 I'm not sure about, Pilosocereus is a possibility. A close-up that shows more details of the spines might help.

They all look like they're ready for one size larger pot, the new pot should not be more than a little larger. More important is to make sure they're in a good cactus mix, see http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... =25&t=9222" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for details.
Spence :mrgreen:
gmoir_2

Post by gmoir_2 »

Thanks for all the replies.

At least now we have an idea about what they may be so we can look more into the soil types etc. for the different species.

We are going to look into a suitable mix and hopefully repot them over the next week or so.

Glen
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

I would have said maybe cleistocactus for the long golden spined one, just can't think of the name at the moment.. i had a few of them hmmmmmmm....
aurelie.

Post by aurelie. »

Hello,
I don't want to confuse gmoir_2 so I will start by saying I am new too, so these people know lots more then me! I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how you would differentiate a cleistocactus from a pilosocereus? They look similar to me, but I've got an untrained eye...
And... that Euphorbia enopla is so cool!
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Good question! Easy to tell them apart when they bloom - Cleistocactus has long tubular flowers, Pilosocereus flowers are produced from a woolly cephalium along the side of the stem. That's no help with young plants, though. The fact that these have yellow spines doesn't help, either, since these are yellow-spined species in both genera.

Pilosocereus tend to have stouter stems, sharper ribs, are often blue-looking (but not always). They produce short wool from the areoles, more with age and strong sun - old plants can get quite furry-looking. Pilosocereus chrysacanthus is a possibility for these plants,

Some Cleistocactus species also produce hair, but it's as long as the spines. The common species are very densely covered with spines. Some are trailing, though they tend to start out growing upright. I'm thinking these could be Cleistocactus samaipatanus, which can grow upright or trailing. The trailing Cleistocactus winteri also looks possible, but the stems appear to be getting a bit too stout to be that.
Spence :mrgreen:
aurelie.

Post by aurelie. »

Fantastic! thank you :)