Help identifying 3 different cacti

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
aurelie.

Help identifying 3 different cacti

Post by aurelie. »

Hello! I have a small collection of cacti and succulents and would like to know what they're names are. If anyone knows, that would be great (plus two of them don't look too good so I would like to know more so I can treat them).
a small cactus, only about 2-3cm high for the moment. Funny looking, but I think he's alright?
a small cactus, only about 2-3cm high for the moment. Funny looking, but I think he's alright?
cactus t1.JPG (32.96 KiB) Viewed 1949 times
The purple is something they sprayed on at the store. A healthy cactus, I just don't know what it is!
The purple is something they sprayed on at the store. A healthy cactus, I just don't know what it is!
cactus t3.JPG (40.52 KiB) Viewed 1949 times
This one has doubled in hight since I got him, despite having a very thin and brown base.
This one has doubled in hight since I got him, despite having a very thin and brown base.
cactus t4 -1.JPG (21.76 KiB) Viewed 1949 times
Thank you!
Last edited by aurelie. on Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cactidan

Re: Help identifying 3 different cacti

Post by cactidan »

The second on is echinocereus rigidissimus rubispinus, I can't see anything sprayed on, it is actually a very colourful plant if grown with good light. But do have a very close check under the spines for mealy bugs, not saying I saw any on yours its just in my experience a lot of these from garden centres often have them.

The last one looks lldike a type of pilocereus.
Pilif

Post by Pilif »

could 1 be a cutting from a monstrose austrocylindropuntia subulata?

3: pilosocereus lanuginosus? i'ts quite small/young for a certain ID.
Filip
aurelie.

Post by aurelie. »

Thank you cactidan, I had no idea cacti could be that color, seeing as when I got it only the very top was purple and it only gained color after being outside (and in pretty serious rain) I assumed the store had sprayed color on it and it had leaked down, seeing as I know they glue fake flowers onto cacti. Live and learn! I will also be sure to keep a close eye on it for measlybug. Hate those
And thanks pilif for your suggestions, if the third one is indeed pilosocereus lanuginosus I'm gonna need to carve out more space!
cactidan

Post by cactidan »

If you like the spines you'll love the flowers, this is mine from last summer.
IMG_20140621_125335.jpg
IMG_20140621_125335.jpg (54.42 KiB) Viewed 1905 times
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

One of the few Echinocereus that does not have one of the main characteristics of the genus, green stigma lobes.
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

Yes they are very impressive. Here is mine too. My favorite flower I think.
Attachments
20140724_134523.jpg
20140724_134523.jpg (69.44 KiB) Viewed 1863 times
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
aurelie.

Post by aurelie. »

Those are gorgeous flowers! really brighton up your day :D Any suggestions on what to do to ensure flowering? Mine's indoors seeing as I live if France. Currently it's in a cool room (about 19 celsius/ 66 fahrenheit) and just behind the window to get as much light as possible. Spraying and bathing about 1 a month as it is quite dry air and the soil seems to dry very quickly, but don't want to overwater!
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

It should be allowed to go dormant in the winter, little or no water and a very cool location would give the best chance of setting flower buds. If you can't provide a cooler situation, a little water may be needed to keep the roots alive - a light spray about once a month should be ok. Normal watering should resume in spring.

Soil that dries quickly is exactly what it should have. The "Growing Cacti" link at the top of this page will take you to good general cactus growing information, and here's a page with details about that particular species: http://cactus-art.biz/schede/ECHINOCERE ... spinus.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spence :mrgreen:
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

Plenty if heat and sun in the summer seems to get them going.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
vlani

Post by vlani »

#1 is probably this:
http://cactiguide.com/cactus/?genus=Aus ... chaffeltii" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Yes, probably (vlani is usually right), and it's normal for them to be a bit rough-looking - the red color just means it's getting good light. More info here: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/64191/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spence :mrgreen: