Identify & Help

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
reachinghisdeaf

Identify & Help

Post by reachinghisdeaf »

So, this cactus was given to me, and very quickly it developed the horn on the top.

From searching this website, I believe the cactus is a Opuntia Microdasys or Opuntia Rufida and the horn may be from etiolation (needing more sunlight).

Would someone please confirm the type of cactus and the problem, as well as provide a solution? Can it survive indoors? Especially in an office with no natural sunlight?

Thanks for all the help!
10897749_10152954552053454_8720500284647673348_n.jpg
10897749_10152954552053454_8720500284647673348_n.jpg (33.85 KiB) Viewed 1396 times
JamesEG

Re: Identify & Help

Post by JamesEG »

It looks like Opuntia microdasys 'Rufida' to me. The growth on the top is definitely etiolated, you could probably cut it off and it would grow new pads normally, although I don't think it would do well in an office. Opuntia generally need to be in full sunlight, so if you can introduce it to full light that would be best. I don't really have too much experience with Opuntia so you would probably get better advice from others, but I hope this helps for now!

Good luck!
reachinghisdeaf

Post by reachinghisdeaf »

Thanks so much! So the whole name is "Optunia Microdasys Rufida"? Wow, I thought they were two different types. One white/yellowish and the other orange/redish... Thanks for the help! I will take "Charlie the Unicorn" (as that is it's given name) home to have more sunlight. :)
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Yup it needs more light, these plant's thrive it full sun it keeps their pads shaped normally to produce more that don't trail on the ground or over the edge of the pot lol! Slowly introduce stronger and stronger light for about a week to make sure itadapts to the change in light without scorching! U can remove the "horn" if you'd like it will grow a new pad eventually that is formed correctly.

"Carrrrrlie! ..."
Alpherg

Post by Alpherg »

The opuntia spoken of is definitely microdasys, but not rufida. The rufida has glochids red - brown. this may be pallida or albino.
JamesEG

Post by JamesEG »

reachinghisdeaf wrote:Thanks so much! So the whole name is "Optunia Microdasys Rufida"? Wow, I thought they were two different types. One white/yellowish and the other orange/redish... Thanks for the help! I will take "Charlie the Unicorn" (as that is it's given name) home to have more sunlight. :)
I'm pretty sure there's three types of Opuntia microdasys, which are O. microdasys "albata" (white glochids), O. microdasys "pallida" (yellow glochids) and O. microdasys "rufida" (red/brown glochids). Good luck with Charlie! :D
Alpherg wrote:The opuntia spoken of is definitely microdasys, but not rufida. The rufida has glochids red - brown. this may be pallida or albino.
On second look the glochids do look a bit paler, thanks for the correction Alpherg :)
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

You can split species into many forms if you wish since many are very variable in habitat, particularly if they have a large geographical range. Add to that artificially selected clones that look different in cultivation and you can create many names for what is really just a single species. Whether you consider O. microdasys and O. rufida separate species or one simply a variety or form of the other depends whether you are a "splitter" or "lumper", the choice is yours.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opuntia_microdasys" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/OPUNTI ... albata.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you have varieties 'palida', rufida' and 'albata' James you would need at least 4 forms since the original collected form of microdasys would retain the name microdasys alone without any other varietal or clonal name attached.
Alpherg

Post by Alpherg »

Well, many thanks to Dawe. We are here to learn something new and maybe give some advice.
JamesEG

Post by JamesEG »

DaveW wrote:If you have varieties 'palida', rufida' and 'albata' James you would need at least 4 forms since the original collected form of microdasys would retain the name microdasys alone without any other varietal or clonal name attached.
Well I'm also here to learn, thanks for the correction Dave :)
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Under the "rules" the name of the species retains that name through all subspecific categories. Although we only usually write it to the lowermost category needed, as say O. microdasys, or O. microdasys ssp. rufida. However you may find it written in some botanical keys to as many subspecific categories as are needed to distinguish it as the type form, e.g. as an extreme example Opuntia microdasys ssp. microdasys, v. microdasys f. microdasys, but it is unusual to write it to so many lower or subspecific ranks. An example from the key in the link below:-

"4a Ribs typically 5-7. Spines usually 8 or fewer, thick and angular in cross-section. Mostly only 0-1 central spine. Mostly in woodland areas. ....................................................................... E. triglochidiatus var. triglochidiatus"

http://www.new-mexico.cactus-society.or ... 205-12.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But don't get confused since E. triglochidiatus var. triglochidiatus simply means it is E. triglochidiatus the type form and not another variety of it. Though as you probably know the category of subspecies (ssp.) is now tending to replace that of variety (v. or var.) in botanical nomenclature.
Last edited by DaveW on Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JamesEG

Post by JamesEG »

Thanks for the information Dave, much appreciated. The different methods of classification is something that I've always found quite difficult to understand!