so called Mamm sp. ?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
KittieKAT

Re: so called Mamm sp. ?

Post by KittieKAT »

I have no idea what it is, but i deff wouldn't say mamm, elongata i have one of those and it doesn't look the same, Thoe it does clump the same way mamm elongata does - my friend has no idea what it could be but he's anxious to find out and see if someone on here figures it out. Lol
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

It's got ribs, it's not a Mammillaria of any kind. It almost looks like one from certain angles, I can see how it could have been mistaken for one.
Spence :mrgreen:
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Yea its just like a really weird cactus i literally have NEVER seen any thing close to it, but somehow my friend had a bunch of them but he's NEVER known what it was called and everyone just assumed it was some kinda mamm (which i don't) So that's WHY he told me he calls it mamm sp. - but i think i got everyone stumped on this little guy, maybe when and if i get it to flower we'll have a better idea
I think he may have had his flower before i should ask if he knows the color and details about it, lets hope he remembers haha!
For such a tiny harmless little plant this little guy is Deff leaving a huge cloud of confusion behind him!
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

This is prob the closest I've found thanks to three pygmy page davew posted i scrolled down and finally saw what he was trying to show me :oops: i was looking at the first picture's lol
Sooo if only we had a name for this one that wasn't being called the same thing as they other post with the pictured cactus in that one saying it has the same name But looks NOTHING alike, but this does look very very similar to my little guy
Attachments
So called p. Familiars
So called p. Familiars
p9w9.jpg (320.67 KiB) Viewed 1329 times
Mine!
Mine!
CAM02248.jpg (31.99 KiB) Viewed 1329 times
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Thoe mine is a little shorter spined then the picture up top
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

There was a densely spined Haageocereus Backeberg confused with Pygmaeocereus which he called densiaculeatus, now known as Haageocereus lanugispinus, but that's not your plant:-

http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/HAAGEO ... leatus.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I still think Pygmaeocereus is the best bet so far, but flowers would clinch it.

Edit: just found this BCSS Forum post where your plant looks as if it goes around as "Pygmaeocereus albispina" (specific name should match the "us" generic ending and be "albispinus") but obviously so far a nomen nudum, therefore whether originating in habitat, or a clone selected in cultivation I do not know?

Scroll right down this time KittieKAT to Sandi's second post.

http://www.bcss.org.uk/foruma/viewtopic ... 4&start=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As is obvious from various Pygmaeocereus illustrations on the web, they are variable in spination with the same name often misapplied to different forms. Interesting comment from Weibe further down the link below:-

"There are 3 plants labelled 'akersii'; quite different from each other but all from the same batch of seed. I like the very small white ones in the front row, labelled 'rowleyanus'."

Therefore seemingly they vary from seed he set, but whether that is hybridisation from using multiple different pollen donors or is natural variation I do not know?

http://www.bcss.org.uk/foruma/viewtopic ... 1&t=155574" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pygmaeocereus seem as hard to sort out as Stenocactus!
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

My friend thinks its a possible cross between some kinds pygmy and echino of some sort (i Beleive that's what he said..lol)
He's had many of these for years and years and doesn't kno what it is exactly and it has NEVER flowered for him.
The picture in the sandies post is close but the spines are to long and tree tops are brown in hers instead of white like mine is.
Maybe its a cross between a pygmy and that cv. Az Snow flake mamm(?) ..thing...???
Not really sure of anything about this plant, other then its cute and what i csn notice about its features...errrrrr, this is gonna be a stumper!
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

iann wrote:
Minime8484 wrote:What about Mammillaria elongata 'Gold Nugget'?
Although typically more golden-spined than yours, I've seen some that are almost pure white.
It isn't Mammillaria elongata. The spines are all wrong and the tubercle arrangement is unlikely. I don't think its a Mammillaria at all. Look close at a Mammillaria, M. elongata is a good one to pick and I think you have one handy. It has a spray of spines (radials) around the edge of the tubercle. Then it may have one or two sticking out from near the centre of the areoles (centrals). All Mammillarias follow this pattern with minor variations and occasional exceptions for mutants like 'Arizona Snowcap'. The plant in the photo has a spray of spines all over the areole, likely to be a South American cactus.
I understand what you are saying, but the photos I've seen of what is being referred to as Mammillaria elongata 'Gold Nugget' look very different from your "typical" Mammillaria elongata plants and don't follow the pattern you indicate for Mammillaria in general; I simply can't see much of a difference between this plant for example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAMMILLARIA-ELO ... 5b0b0b32aa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and the plant in question.
Perhaps what is parading around under the name Mammillaria elongata 'Gold Nugget' isn't actually a Mammillaria at all - stranger things have happened - but, I still think the plant in question is best referable to what is known as Mammillaria elongata 'Gold Nugget'.
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

I have 4 mamm elongata's a red spined, white spined and a brown/gold spined and one thats more goldish but prob still the same as the brown gold one. The spines on mine pictured are nothing like the rest of them, the eBay posting i would suggest is Maybe a wrong id it just doesn't seem correct to me, but maybe I'm wrong we'll see!
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Yes it looks like mine but i don't think its a mamm elongata
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Found this collectors list for Pygmaeocereus and it looks as if P. albispinus nom. nud. is one of Karel Knize's names:-

http://www.cl-cactus.com/genres.asp?Lan ... maeocereus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Doesn't show a picture davew from what i can tell....unless it's just cause I'm on a phone
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Just a collection numbers list KittieKAT, no picture

P. albispinus KK 2003, Peru, Rio Tambo 400m

Only found this fuzzy image searching for KK 2003:-

http://cactuslandia.eshop-zdarma.cz/ind ... uct&id=485" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Yea the brown tops kinda throw me off when compared to my plants white tops. Lol!
Atozbotanicals

Post by Atozbotanicals »

I am a 15 year old collector and I have the same form. This is 100% Mammillaria Gold Nugget, it is a Monstrose form of Mammillaria elongata. Search Mammillaria elongata monstrose and you will find it.
17 year old Cactus enthusiast specializing in hard growing North American species.