some cacti i need help identifying!

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
cactusgrower313

some cacti i need help identifying!

Post by cactusgrower313 »

I received these cacti from a local friend that grows cacti, he doesn't know the names of these and he also forgot were he got the seeds from. these are seed grown.
Attachments
number 1
number 1
WP_20141212_014.jpg (35.69 KiB) Viewed 792 times
number 2
number 2
WP_20141212_015.jpg (32.09 KiB) Viewed 792 times
number 3
number 3
WP_20141212_013.jpg (38.24 KiB) Viewed 792 times
cactusgrower313

Re: some cacti i need help identifying!

more pics
Attachments
this one is the same as number 3
this one is the same as number 3
WP_20141212_012.jpg (40.27 KiB) Viewed 791 times
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

They are opuntia but these are so many i couldn't tell u which one, is a little stretched causing it to look misshapen but that could be from the lack of light During/ after germination. I would suggest putting it in a very sunny window (after u slowly introduce stronger light) so it can start growing pads on its body and you can propagate them so you can have another one or two to see what they look like with good sun an care. Good luck on the id hun!
cactusgrower313

KittieKAT wrote:They are opuntia but these are so many i couldn't tell u which one, is a little stretched causing it to look misshapen but that could be from the lack of light During/ after germination. I would suggest putting it in a very sunny window (after u slowly introduce stronger light) so it can start growing pads on its body and you can propagate them so you can have another one or two to see what they look like with good sun an care. Good luck on the id hun!
haha thank you. but yeah I think they are alittle elongated because the grower had soooo many he had no room in his greenhouse and thus causing shade. but yeah hopefully I get another pad and grow another replica of it just in cas, I do hope they are cold hardy though.
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Not many opuntia are cold hardy, atleast mine isn't lol
Hope someone can help u better then ME lol
Goodluck
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Most Opuntias are cold hardy if dry, but a plant in a pot can never stand as much cold as it could growing in the ground.

Yeah, get these little guys in some good light and grow them on for a while, you'll have a much better chance of IDing them.
Spence :mrgreen:
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

I agree with greenknight opuntas especially in terracotta pots are not that happy in the cold weather as
In the ground where the roots can stay warm in the deep soil.

And do as greenknight says and they will grow big and healthy and pup out in no time :)