help identify this cacti from nevada

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
cactusgrower313

help identify this cacti from nevada

Post by cactusgrower313 »

I received these cacti from a friend in Nevada. they are opuntia though. it would be awesome to identify these. plus he told me hes grown these in a zone 6 dry winter, I live in Michigan and also growing colhardy cacti outide.
Attachments
this I the cacti im referring to, I will post more.
this I the cacti im referring to, I will post more.
wp_ss_20141122_0001 (1).jpg (30.9 KiB) Viewed 1233 times
another photo regarding the first photo to get a good look.
another photo regarding the first photo to get a good look.
wp_ss_20141110_0001.jpg (57.82 KiB) Viewed 1233 times
the flower
the flower
wp_ss_20141122_0002.jpg (77.37 KiB) Viewed 1233 times
different cactus from same friend
different cactus from same friend
WP_20141109_012.jpg (24.69 KiB) Viewed 1233 times
he told me this one opuntia is a compact form that has yellow flowers. its spiny too , he just snipped off some spines to make transporting easy.
he told me this one opuntia is a compact form that has yellow flowers. its spiny too , he just snipped off some spines to make transporting easy.
WP_20141109_013.jpg (22.6 KiB) Viewed 1233 times
KittieKAT

Re: help identify this cacti from nevada

Post by KittieKAT »

It's some kinda opuntia that's for sure, cannot recall which kind but i do kno that, that's a big A** spider *ahhhhhhh!*
I'm sure Someone will chime in son to be more helpful then me pointing out the obvious. Goodluck :)
Kamos

Post by Kamos »

Second pic looks a bit like O. macrocentra.
Neal
cactusgrower313

haha thanks kittieKat, and kamos yea I also think its a macocentra but I also believe its a spinosbacca a natural hybrid of some sort.
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

Can you clarify if they are native to Nevada, or just plants your friend grows?
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
A. Dean Stock

Post by A. Dean Stock »

The second photo doesn't look like the pads in the first photo. The pads in the first photo may not all be from the same plant but could be even though one is nearly spineless and has many large glochids. As Saxicola suggested, it would help to know if the plants are Nevada natives or not. There are very few species in Nevada to choose from but there are many hybrids.
Dean
Albert Dean Stock,Ph.D.
cactusgrower313

Saxicola wrote:Can you clarify if they are native to Nevada, or just plants your friend grows?
:? to be honest he doesn't even know what he gave me lol. I have been online searching for 4 months now, iev givin up really, the only two species that are look alikes are opuntia spinosibacca (hybrid) and macrocentra. thankyou for loking into this post. I need help!
cactusgrower313

A. Dean Stock wrote:The second photo doesn't look like the pads in the first photo. The pads in the first photo may not all be from the same plant but could be even though one is nearly spineless and has many large glochids. As Saxicola suggested, it would help to know if the plants are Nevada natives or not. There are very few species in Nevada to choose from but there are many hybrids.
Dean
he believes its a native. iev search on many websites about native hybrids crosses of opuntia of Nevada, Utah cali,texas.
A. Dean Stock

Post by A. Dean Stock »

Neither O. spinosibaca or O. macrocentra occurs in Nevada. Your choices, if it is a native species in that state, are O. phaeacantha and O. engelemannii. There are hybrids west of Search LIght and south of Las Vegas, named O. X curvispina that are also large with fleshy fruit. It generally has a solid yellow flower like O. engelmannii. The plant that others though might be O. spinosibaca looks a little like X curvispina but I'd have to see the flowers and fruit to be sure. Note that O. spinosibaca is now considered to be a distinct species by some taxonomists working with Opuntia. It is more than likely that your plants are O. phaeacantha or are hybrids derived from O. phaeacantha as one parent. The flower cannot be from O. engelmannii so I'd call that one O. phaeacantha. It is likely you have more than one species represented in your group of plants. I hope that helps a little.
Dean
Albert Dean Stock,Ph.D.
cactusgrower313

A. Dean Stock wrote:Neither O. spinosibaca or O. macrocentra occurs in Nevada. Your choices, if it is a native species in that state, are O. phaeacantha and O. engelemannii. There are hybrids west of Search LIght and south of Las Vegas, named O. X curvispina that are also large with fleshy fruit. It generally has a solid yellow flower like O. engelmannii. The plant that others though might be O. spinosibaca looks a little like X curvispina but I'd have to see the flowers and fruit to be sure. Note that O. spinosibaca is now considered to be a distinct species by some taxonomists working with Opuntia. It is more than likely that your plants are O. phaeacantha or are hybrids derived from O. phaeacantha as one parent. The flower cannot be from O. engelmannii so I'd call that one O. phaeacantha. It is likely you have more than one species represented in your group of plants. I hope that helps a little.
Dean
thank you vaery much. actually it isn't a native but he told me it used mostly throughout landscaping. but I will look in the phaecantha. tank you