Please help ID Quickly before they Freeze!!

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Diane64

Please help ID Quickly before they Freeze!!

Post by Diane64 »

My "Brain Cactus"
My "Brain Cactus"
IMG_20140323_174346_924.jpg (86.11 KiB) Viewed 1044 times
Hello Folks
This is my first time visiting you and already a long message I wrote introducing myself and explaining my situation "disappeared". This usually happens to me on
Facebook. LOL.
So, I'll spare you the detailed long explanation story.
I live in the Mohave Desert in Las Vegas, NV. USA. We've had unusual season this year. The temperatures have been in the high 70's to the mid 80's with the nightly
lows in the mid 50's.
Last night the temperature dropped down to freezing---32 degrees F.!! On the 11:00 PM News, it was 34 degrees. I'm outside moving the Aloes into the living room
and covering the rest of the Cacti with a quilt. Mind you, I'm 65 years old and pretty severely physically disabled. If it didn't hurt so badly, it would be funny!! :lol:

In the past many years, I've always brought ALL my Cacti into the living room for the winter, which is quite physically demanding. Also, it's been suggested to me that
if I was able to leave them outside I might get more, (any), flowers. This is true of one I am able to winter outside. It was dug up from the ground.
It also seems that some of my Cacti have Scale and/or Mealy Bugs, which I don't want spread to my cherished House Plants. Some are 30 years old!!

Unfortunately, I don't know the names of all my Cactus, so I can look them up to find out which ones are cold hardy. This is where I ask you kind hearted members for assistance. If any of you already know of some that are cold hardy, that information would save me some research.

I'm sorry, but over the years my Picture File has become a total unorganized disaster. A lot of pics are missing and finding any is a real challenge. Sorry, but a lot of them are group imagines. I hope this won't be a problem .

Thank You all for any help you might supply.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING
Sorry, Internet Explorer CRASHED again. The page just started flickering madly!!! I'm so lucky I was able to find this again. Even though all my Auto Photo apps are
not working right and over half of my pics are missing!! Don't know how I'm going to research the hardy Cactus with no names. Just do what you have to do, I guess,
UGH!! Heavy work!
Thanks again, Diane Huff
Attachments
This is the only one I leave outside. Gets large Yellow Flowers-4"to 5"
This is the only one I leave outside. Gets large Yellow Flowers-4"to 5"
IMG_20140324_053606.jpg (76.57 KiB) Viewed 1044 times
I've got better pics some where.
I've got better pics some where.
IMG_20140410_113907_906.jpg (45.29 KiB) Viewed 1044 times
The bigger one on RT,gets lots of yellow flowers. One on LT -Pink Flowers
The bigger one on RT,gets lots of yellow flowers. One on LT -Pink Flowers
IMG_20140323_174211_298.jpg (94.17 KiB) Viewed 1044 times
E. Qxygona-white night bloom, etc
E. Qxygona-white night bloom, etc
100_0640.JPG (68.13 KiB) Viewed 1044 times
I rescued this Cactus from my Mom's when she passed in 1981
I rescued this Cactus from my Mom's when she passed in 1981
P081213_0931.jpg (88.19 KiB) Viewed 1044 times
snarfie

Re: Please help ID Quickly before they Freeze!!

Post by snarfie »

2nd photo: maybe echinocereus
4th photo: bigger one probably notocactus magnificus
Last photo: probably ferocactus
Young professional amateur in Schlumbergera and Rhipsalidopsis growing and hybridizing
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Many cacti will stand down to freezing Diane if covered over unless they are from more tropical climes. What are the lowest winter temperatures you get though?

Maybe you can get somebody to construct some form of cover over those you cannot move in, as in the following links (scroll down the link to see):-

http://www.klru.org/ctg/blog/?p=3978" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://desertflower.wordpress.com/tag/ ... rotection/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hegar

Post by hegar »

The first image shows either Mammillaria gracilis, which is hardy here in El Paso, TX or perhaps M. elongata. That is just my opinion and I am not at all 100% sure about this tentative ID. Images 2 and 3 depict Echinocereus dasyacanthus, which is a native cactus from where I do live. Thus, it should also be hardy. The last image seems to show yet another Echinocereus sp., in addition to the Ferocactus. Once again, the Echinocereus sp. should be able to survive outdoors.

Harald
Diane64

Post by Diane64 »

Thanks you guys for the ID's, I really appreciate it.
I'm uploading a temperature chart for Las Vegas, Nv. from The Weather Channel. Not the best, but not too bad.

Does anybody know what that "hairy old man" type Cactus is, and/or it's cold hardiness?
Do you think that the Ferrocatus and the Barrel Cactus would have the same requirements? It's hard to believe how many of my Cactus sunburn,
since they are all well covered under a patio cover. I guess that's the Desert for you. Have to be careful when bringing them back outside from
their indoors winter rest.

I hope to get my phone camera and PC talking to one another again soon.

Thanks everybody, Diane
Attachments
Temperature chart for Las Vegas, Nv
Temperature chart for Las Vegas, Nv
Screenshot (103).jpg (87.92 KiB) Viewed 983 times
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

The Brain Cactus in the first picture is Mammillaria elongata fa. cristata. It has quite a large number of shoots which have reverted to the normal M. elongata, these will take over and eventually hide the wavy, crested portion of the plant if you leave them on.

It can stand a few degrees of frost if dry, anything below the upper 20s f would be dangerous.
Spence :mrgreen: