unknown

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
gehcole

unknown

Post by gehcole »

I saved these ones from a quiet unhealthy environment. They seem to do well. But I have no idea as to their identification. Someone can help me?
Attachments
IMG_0781.JPG
IMG_0781.JPG (38.16 KiB) Viewed 1180 times
KittieKAT

Re: unknown

Post by KittieKAT »

Looks like a very burned fairy castle cacti but I'm not to sure, but thank you for saving this guy, i do the same at places :)
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

It might be a Euphorbia. If I could see the stems more close up I could better determine that. You could test yourself by poking it with a needle. If it bleeds white sap it is a Euphorbia not a cactus.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Stapelia or a Stapeliad of some type?
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

I think this is a cactus. I believe I had one like it many many many years ago. Don't know the name.
But as Saxicola mentions: it could be helpful if you could stick a needle in it to see if it will bleed a white sap. I am not expecting it, though.
gehcole

Post by gehcole »

IMG_0889 (Mobile).JPG
IMG_0889 (Mobile).JPG (44.97 KiB) Viewed 1136 times
I tried the needle technique. Indeed it bleeds white latex.
Brunãozinho

Post by Brunãozinho »

It looks like Euphorbia resinifera.
Bruno
gehcole

Post by gehcole »

Thank you all. I ´ll stick with resinifera.
hegar

Post by hegar »

I also agree with the genus Euphorbia, because it looks like there are two spine-like thorns originating at each "bump". I am not sure, what this structure is called for Euphorbia members, but for cacti the name would be "tubercle" and "areole". Euphorbias do have either two thorns or at times four, if they have "spines" at all. Some do have single, long, tooth-pick like thorns, that are usually arranged haphazardly.
While it is true, that this genus "bleeds" a white, milky, irritating sap, this "feature" can also be encountered with some of the Mammillaria cactus genus. However, the cactus sap is not irritating to skin, especially mucous membranes, i.e. eyes and mouth.

Harald
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Only cacti have areoles, that's what distinguishes them from non-cactus succulents. They are enlarged buds, often fuzzy, from which spines, bristles, hairs, flowers in some cases, or even leaves grow. A tubercle is just a bump, I think that would be the correct term to use for the bumps from which Euphorbia thorns grow.

Yes, some Mammillarias have milky sap. You can be certain this is not a Mammillaria, though, because they don't have ribs - the tubercles are distributed uniformly over the entire body of the plant.
Spence :mrgreen: