got asked about this, don't kno the name?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
KittieKAT

got asked about this, don't kno the name?

Post by KittieKAT »

:oops: I've had this guy for a long time, didn't have a name tag i found it at a store that had a few fairycastle cacti with thoes horrible fake flowers attached, this was they only one of its kind their the people who own/work at the store had no idea what it was just that it came with the box of fairy castle cacti and it was they only different one, i took him home cause he looked soo lonely :( and reminded me of a spikey peni$ (excuse me language!) He had flowers glued to him, i got the first one off without damaging much spines, but the oddly shaped side had soo many sspikes at the top it was impossible to get it off without losing some areoles and spikes so now he has a bald spot, but he's been trying to grow some back :)

Here are a few pics, he's over due for a repot but gonna wait till after the move to the new house, plus its super freezing outside!

He's columna, a powdery kinda green skin with reddish/light brownish or burnt orange-y spines.. can't really decide on the color of them lol!
And he's got a very erratic areole pattern in certain spots
Attachments
CAM01938.jpg
CAM01938.jpg (37.94 KiB) Viewed 1216 times
Closer up
Closer up
CAM01939.jpg (39.46 KiB) Viewed 1216 times
Other side
Other side
CAM01940.jpg (31.49 KiB) Viewed 1216 times
KittieKAT

Re: got asked about this, don't kno the name?

Post by KittieKAT »

Thanks in advanced
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Looks like a Cereus peruvianus monstrose.

Fairy Castle is Acanthocereus tetragonus monstrose, and they're often sold with those stupid glued-on flowers - aaarrrgh!

Both are fairly common cultivars, probably just got mixed up at the nursery.
Spence :mrgreen:
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

I like him reguardless :-D i searched up your id on Google, some pictures had some that kinda looked like mine
And they rest were totally different looking kinda like if he looked completely like the top of the Left top of the oddly shaped side, with all the spikes close together all over it and forming more of a crested body, but it does kinda look close so unless anyone has a better I.d for this guy I'm guessing that could be what he is.
HairyHarry

Post by HairyHarry »

Greenknight is absolutely right.
Monstrose stands for cristate/crest, and that happens in various degrees. Which is way the left one looks like most of the pictures you found, and why the right one was thinking about going straight up for a while.

Yours is definitely on the straight side of this cultivated shape.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Monstrose means any plant with abnormal growth not always crested but including crests, also known as fasciated. Cristate just means crested. Monstrose growth can occur from seed but often occurs originally as a mutant offset on a normal plant which is then often removed and propagated. You can also get reversions with monstrose plants where some stems will change back to normal growth again. Sometimes as monstrose plants look so unlike their normal form, reversions are the only way to identify their species.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3448/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

So this would be a regular cereus peruvianus, So because it decided to mutate its now a Montrose cereus peruvianus?
Or am i being blonde again, lol
I don't own any monstrose cacti in my collection so i guess i thought that their are either monstrose cacti or regular growing cacti
So this one just decided he wanted to be a mostrose cacti? Or am i not getting the whole picture here lol
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

I thought he was a cereus aethiops, but he does look more like a cereus peruvianus Monstrose or a cereus puruvianus cv knobby monstrose
Cause he's more knobby then monstrose with a crest
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Most likely it was a cutting of a monstrose to begin with - or two cuttings. Nurseries grow those cuttings by the thousands, since that's the only reliable way to reproduce the monstrose traits - though they sometimes do revert, as yours did for a time.

Cereus peruvianus has been in cultivation so long that its origins are not documented, no such species is found in the wild. Many mutants have cropped up over the years, and quite a few have been propagated commercially, so there are many different monstrose cultivars - as you discovered in your search.

Very cool plant, in any case.
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

I think this one was a seed... cause it doesn't have a cut off bottom from propagation
But then again it could have been an offset. I like how he kinda looks bumpy :)
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

It's the type of monstrose that produces an abnormally large number of offsets, those are what the nurseries use for cuttings.
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Yup he must be one of those